Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barber Shop...Do You Use a Real Barber?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I stopped paying for a haircut about 10 years ago.
    It's been 15 years since I paid for one...I married my stylist. Not that I'm all that stylish. I've been retired (MSgt, USAF) for 17-plus years and while I let it get a little wild for a while, I long ago went back to keeping it short. A fresh cut has me within regs...hair-wise, anyway...the 'stache and goat are another matter. At at least I don't have to worry about letting it go a little long.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I go to a real barber, but he does take appointments which are helpful to me.

I used to only go to a real barber. I let a couple women try, but they just didn't know how to do a traditional guy's haircut or a flat-top (that one time was real bad). But, 20+ years ago, I was tired of carrying a ball cap with me to cover the helmet head I was getting from my motorcycle helmet, so I used a beard trimmer (!) and buzzed it all off. Used that until it broke, then went through probably 2 more $30 clipper sets until I had my wife ask a hairdresser friend of hers what brand of clippers to get. $45 or so got me a set that has now lasted probably 15 years or more. The key is to oil them before each use and clean them off afterwards. I haven't ridden a motorcycle regularly in a long time, but kept the haircut--don't have to deal with all the cowlicks that way.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Years ago I used to cut my own but now, for the last 15 years or so, I go to a real barber shop. My favorite barber passed away a few years ago and I changed shops. No appointments, $15 plus a $2 tip. High and tight cause I can't stand shaggy and once a month. Most of the guys who come in there are retired.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am still old school and only go to someone with a "barber" certificate which is different than a beautician where I live. Recently, I have started "scheduling" appointments so I don't wait in line. I miss the good old days in military barber shops when it was first come, first served.... How many of you still use a real barber? Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?
    LOL, my hair might actually be shorter than yours for a change at this particular point in time.

I use a real barber, who's past retirement age and will soon be passing the shop onto a "stylist". I have been going to Sam since 1981, I may have to let my hair grow when he retires

Sam's is a first come, first served place, the TV always has soccer on (Sam is Maltese so real football (soccer) is his life).

I get a haircut and a shave when I go in, there's nothing like a shave with hot towels, warm soap and a straight razor. Recently Sam has switched to a straight razor with disposable blades due to new regulations in Ontario, the new razor doesn't seem to cut as well as the old style.

At home I use a double edge safety razor and hot soap from a mug, works so much better than the can of foam and the newest 200 blade plastic razor, not to mention that 100 double edge blades is around $30.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Rich, I will be in Virginia October 17 through 20.

Jason, you were just ahead of the trend with helmet hair.

I have a sticker on my bike that says "Hair by Helmet", the spelling's wrong for a German bike, however it's factual............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jason, you were just ahead of the trend with helmet hair.

I have a sticker on my bike that says "Hair by Helmet", the spelling's wrong for a German bike, however it's factual............Rod.
    Rod, someone (I don't remember who) said, "Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?" about you.

For the past three years I've used a real barber shop. Up until then I thought I "had to" use the typical mall shops/salons because they were the most obvious in this metro area. Then I discovered this unassuming little shop less than ten minutes from home. It's been there all these years and didn't even realize it was there. With my age and genetics, it doesn't take long to cut what I have left. In and out in twenty minutes or less.

I went to the same shop for over 20 years. After retirement and mostly bald, I just couldn't see any reason to pay $15-20 dollars each month. I did exactly what Larry did after I retired. We bought a Wahl clipper set and never looked back. Paid for itself in two months.

When I was a teen I'd walk down to Mickey's Hometown Barbershop but I started using the big chains because they are much quicker and a little cheaper (important when you're a teen with limited income). I'm actually glad to see that Mickey is still in business over 20 years later. I also went to high school with his son and daughter.

My current go-to is Great Clips - I've never gotten a bad haircut from them no matter which location I visit.
    ~Garth

I forgot to mention that when I was a kid back in Ohio I'd go to the barber shop with my grandpa. He went to this place he called Staupy's (actually Staup) and we would get our hair cut for 50 cents. This was a small one chair shop in a room off the side of the barber's house. We couldn't afford the uptown shop which charged $2. I think I was 10 or 11 at the time and I'll be 80 this year. That was in a small town just outside the gates of Wright Patterson AFB.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

After one or two "experiences" at a unisex salon 30 years ago I have gone to a real barber. I've used the same shop now for 27 years though the ownership has changed. The current owner is only about 35 so he's likely to be around for a while. He does a nice short cut that doesn't make me looks like I've been scalped though as a former Marine he himself wears a beard with his high and tight.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I forgot to mention that when I was a kid back in Ohio I'd go to the barber shop with my grandpa. He went to this place he called Staupy's (actually Staup) and we would get our hair cut for 50 cents. This was a small one chair shop in a room off the side of the barber's house...
    Back in the late 40's, my brother and I would walk 3/4 mile to a small village (Cheshire, NY) to get our hair cut and then use the left over money to get candy or gum at the C.P. Viola's general store across the street from the old barbershop. Mom gave us 50 cents (which my year and a half older brother carried) and we paid the barber 40 cents for both of us, leaving us 10 cents to splurge. The barber must have been in his eighties and the building equally old -- everyone went into an uproar when he raised his rates to a quarter. I still go to a regular barber (always have) and pay $12 plus tip for exactly what I want.

Does anyone still wear a flat top? My dad wore one for years.

Years ago I use to go to a barber shop owned by a retired state trooper. $5 and you got the standard state trooper haircut.
    Today I use a barber shop that has been in town for years. The new guy has been there for around 25 years.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-21-2016 at 8:40 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale