Thread: New Craftsman Bandsaw's

Question New Craftsman Bandsaw's

Creekers,

Has anyone taken a first hand look at the new Craftsman bandsaw's? They are 10" #21400 (list $140), 12" #22400 (list $300), and 14" #22401 (list $480). They look a whole lot like the saws I've seen from Rikon.

I've seen the 10" one at my local Sears and was not impressed. At first I thought it may be better than the Rikon 10" because the Sears unit has a cast iron table and the Rikon has an Alum table. The two problem areas were the useless fence and the flexing table. The fence problem wouldn't be a big deal. The table however was really bad. The table was connected to the side of the sheetmetal cover that surrounds the lower wheel. This sheetmetal was no where close to being strong enough to keep the table stable. I could flex the table 1/8th to 1/4 inch with two fingers with not much effort.

The only reason for looking was the low cost. The 10" can be had for about $125, the 12" $270, and 14" $430. Shipped to the local Sears for free.

My local Sears doesn't have the 12" or 14" in-stock or on the floor. I would be curious to know if anyone has seen them in real life and if the are based on Rikon models.
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks
    <mailto:cadman642000@yahoo.com>

I looked at these at my local Sears. I was very impressed with the 14" model. It seems like Craftsman is improving their woodworking tools. The hybrid saw with the Beisemeyer fence is a good design. The 6 1/8" jointer (which I have) works well and now has the switch in a raised position.

The bandsaw seemed really well design and manufactured. I tried the various adjustments and everything worked well. The depth of cut was about 7". My thought was that if Sears sells a larger one, I would probably want it. (I already have a 14" bandsaw that works well.)

I think that is may very well be manufactured by the same source as the Rikon. There are alot of similarities in the two designs (comparing the 14" models).

What's next? Perhaps a Craftsman euro slider or combination jointer/planer?

They also sell my favorite quick clamps (which are made in Slovakia by the way): http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT These clamps work perfectly with a clamping lever and a release/reverse trigger. They have square faces and are very ergonomic.
    Last edited by Andrew Ault; 09-30-2005 at 1:45 PM. Reason: fix typo

Bobby;

Not a direct answer to your question I know. I own the 10" model and do not experience the "flexing" that you speak of. The fence is useless and the dust collection is poor (In my opinion anyway) but I have had no problems with the table. The length of the blade is a little odd at 70.5 inches, but a call to Suffolk Machinery solved that. I have easily cut 4" thick laminated hard maple, purple heart, walnut etc with good results (Bandsaw boxes) add have resawn 4" wide boards of the same with a shop made resaw fence.

Sorry I can't give any specifics on the larger models, but I think they would be worth a look if they ever get to the stores.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hayes
    Bobby;

Not a direct answer to your question I know. I own the 10" model and do not experience the "flexing" that you speak of. The fence is useless and the dust collection is poor (In my opinion anyway) but I have had no problems with the table. The length of the blade is a little odd at 70.5 inches, but a call to Suffolk Machinery solved that. I have easily cut 4" thick laminated hard maple, purple heart, walnut etc with good results (Bandsaw boxes) add have resawn 4" wide boards of the same with a shop made resaw fence.

Sorry I can't give any specifics on the larger models, but I think they would be worth a look if they ever get to the stores.

Chuck
    Chuck,

Glad to hear you are satified with the bandsaw. The local Sears must have monkey's assembling floor model tools here. I went in looking at the new table saws back in the spring and it didn't look very good. Almost scared me off. After some reasurance from other Creekers I bought one and am very happy. I have the 6-1/8th jointer (one before the moved switch) too.
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks
    <mailto:cadman642000@yahoo.com>

I have bought a lot of power tools at Sears.However I am going to sell a couple Craftsman saws and Buy something different.Biggest problem I have with Craftsman is trying to get replacement parts after a few years.Sears does not make anything,what you buy today will be made by one manufacturer,next week some other manufacturer.Seems like parts are only available for a short time.I have many Craftsman mechanics tools,I still have most of the original set I bought back in 1958.Think I bought a tool set for $39.95 and they will still replace one of them if I break one.I will be looking at other brands for power tools.just my 2 cts.worth.