Thread: Need Help to ID Brace

Need Help to ID Brace

Hi guys, picked up this brace at the local flea market last weekend. I have partially cleaned it up at this point, but I can not find any markings on it to help identify or date. Based on the lines on the wood and the general appearance it looks to me to be an early Millers Falls. I looked at http://oldtoolheaven.com/brace/FeaturedBraces.htm and it looks a lot like the picture associated with the paragraph on Dolan’s ratchet patent, which would make it a Dolan? (or were Dolans Millers Falls) around/after 1871. Can anyone recognize any features that would help ID this one. Here are some pics.
    DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0002 (1).jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

Man, this is a head scratcher. I've picked through all of my antique tool catalogs and I can't find anything on that one. The brace on OTH looks a lot like yours.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

The interesting thing is that this brace just has that "fine, well made tool" feel. Nice action, weight etc. The odd thing is that the wood is in very very good condition considering the wear to the metal, (assuming there was a manufacture mark) enough to abrade it off. Just a side note...Was the wood on these old braces rosewood or walnut?

Millers Falls had a habit of using that BIG plate to attach the top knob. They also used Rosewood for awhile, then switch to Giancolo. Chuck looks like a Barber style.

Hi Steven thanks for the reply, are you saying the plate on the top knob is smaller than the Millers Falls and therefore probably not a MF. I guess I am confused, as I research the various web sites they will be discussing Millers Falls braces and throw in things like the Barber pat. chuck or Dolan pat. ratchet. Did Dolan and Barber make their own braces until Millers Falls bought them out. Based on the plate size, the apparent Dolan ratchet and the Barber chuck... are you suggesting it may be a Barber braced? I realize there may be no way to tell for sure, just trying to nail it down as best I can. Sorry one last question. The wood here appears to me to be rosewood does it look that way to you? Based on the pictures? I will have to go check out pictures of Giancolo. Thanks

Hi again Steven, I can't seem to find anything for Giancolo. Is there a different spelling? Thanks

They also used Cocobolo, until it ran out.
    The plate should be just about the samw diameter as the knob.

There is a Millers Falls "home site" . There was also an "Improved Barber" chuck. Then that huge "Holdall" thing.
    On their site. They also list braces by the model numbers. I have at least one brace with Rosewood handles, by Millers Falls. Later,they switched to the other woods, due to cost...of course. Cocobolo also was used for their handles on the handplanes. Then they switched over to the Giancolo/tropical hardwoods...

Look up a Millers Falls No. 82, 83
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-22-2016 at 2:33 PM.

Thanks Steven I will check it out.