Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor man's rowmark / DIY rowmark

Poor man's rowmark / DIY rowmark

Priced out some rowmark, holy crap that stuff is expensive.

Decided to try some DIY and it worked out extremely well.

1) spray painted colored acrylic. worked great. you definitely want to wait for the paint to completely dry or you'll easily imprint fingerprints on it. any color combination you want, including ones rowmark doesn't provide.
    2) spray painted HIPS. worked even better. paint seemed to slightly melt the surface of the HIPS and fuse to it. downside - only white hips sheets available so only white for engraving.

The other downside is that the paint mars or scratches quite readily so it is of no use for many sign and label applications.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

When pricing plastic such as Rowmark, be sure to check the size of the sheet. Most vendors default to Full sheets & yes that can be expensive. However if you find the appropriate size such as 24x12 its usually $11-$20 per sheet. With discounts for larger orders.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Yeah, engraving laminates don't come cheap, but it's simply another cost of doing business.

And speaking of CODB, what is your time worth? Mine is worth at a bare minimum $60 an hour. The time it would take at $1 per minute to prep and paint the materials would totally wipe out any savings I created, since I'd be spray painting and NOT be making $60 an hour doing something else!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Rowmark is expensive just like Cermark is expensive - unless you price it right then it's pretty inexpensive! There have been lots of threads with people trying to figure out ways to make black marks as cheap as possible - the cheapest way I found is to charge an appropriate price for the mark and stop wasting time chasing windmills...
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 09-22-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Agree with Gary - A $17 (average) sheet of Rowmark will make me at minimum $100+. A $70 rattle can of Cermark will make $400-$700, even over $1,000 if you are conservative with it. Switching to the more "expensive" paste has an even better return on the $.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Agree with Gary - A $17 (average) sheet of Rowmark will make me at minimum $100+. A $70 rattle can of Cermark will make $400-$700, even over $1,000 if you are conservative with it. Switching to the more "expensive" paste has an even better return on the $.
    i'm doing this as a hobby for myself, not as a business. so a $5 rattle can of moly/galvanizing spray instead of mega expensive cermark is totally acceptable when i'm marking my own stuff.

same for the rowmark. doing this for myself and others, not as a business. so again DIY is totally acceptable for me and probably other hobbyists not doing this as a business for profit.

That makes a big difference.

It would be good to know what kind of equipment you have and where you're located.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

seattle, I use the epilog helix 24 and the universal vls4.60 in the local maker space.

since it's all hobbyist and makers using these lasers, diy rowmark and diy cermark makes a lot of sense. nobody using these lasers wants to spend $70 on cermark to mark a one-off trinket for their kids. same for how rowmark is likely to be used here.

Wow I haven't looked at the price of Rowmark material in a while! In my opinion, the price is outrageous for your standard LaserMark material. I switched to another brand of material a few years ago which is manufactured and sold by a company in South Carolina. I like the material better as it's actually .062 thick (every sheet of Rowmark I've ever gotten has been more like .050) and doesn't warp as easy, the colors are exactly the same, it engraves and cuts the same, and it costs almost half of what Rowmark is selling for. The selection isn't as wide, but they have all of the colors I use.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    ...I switched to another brand of material a few years ago which is manufactured and sold by a company in South Carolina. I like the material better as it's actually .062 thick (every sheet of Rowmark I've ever gotten has been more like .050) and doesn't warp as easy, the colors are exactly the same, it engraves and cuts the same, and it costs almost half of what Rowmark is selling for. The selection isn't as wide, but they have all of the colors I use.
    ...and the product is called?
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Cost of engraving stock is fine if you 're pricing your work accordingly. 24x48 sheet costs me $50.00 and I can get minimum of 500.00 in sales per sheet.

If you would like to test Chinese products at little less cost check out ASC365.com ( $8.00 for 12x24 sheet).
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    ...and the product is called?
    I didn't want to put the name of the company since Rowmark is a sponsor here.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    I didn't want to put the name of the company since Rowmark is a sponsor here.
    Rowmark being a sponsor/advertiser doesn't mean you have to censor posts. I did get flack from a moderator for mentioning that a sponsor had higher prices than a competitor but if that turned into a deleted post, blatant censorship, then I'm outa here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Cost of engraving stock is fine if you 're pricing your work accordingly. 24x48 sheet costs me $50.00 and I can get minimum of 500.00 in sales per sheet.

If you would like to test Chinese products at little less cost check out ASC365.com ( $8.00 for 12x24 sheet).
    this DIY rowmark is mainly intended for non commercial hobbyists / makers and gifts, where the work is priced $0 and the cost of stock is obnoxious.