Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tables for brewery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tables for brewery

I'm building some tables for a brewery. The are a mix of a simple pine top with a welded base. The goal is to have a table that is 24' long using 4 6' tables. I'm at odds if I want to include some type of clamp to join the tables and if I want to use a dowel to align them when they are together. My thought is that if I do a clamp it will hold them together nicely, but what about when they aren't together? Won' the clamp just dangle?

The tables are 6' x 3'.

This is the clamp I had in mind: http://www.mcmaster.com/#draw-latches/=14ab9yg

The link isn't working correctly. It is a pull action toggle clamp.

What would you use? Dowels? Clamps? Other options?
    Last edited by Ryan Lee; 09-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Here is one

This was the prototype
    20160907_153311.jpg

I think that the brewery staff is not going to fuss around with clamps to hold the tables together. They'll just slam the tables around -- sometimes as singles, and sometimes in multiples. Unless they swear up and down that they need the clamps, I'd leave them off.

Another sample of the top
    20160826_222349.jpg

Inspired from this:
    Theus-Picnic-Table-BRSD8416.jpg

Ryan I don't know if you should use clamps or not.You could always add them later.
    Hopefully they don't get a lot of beer drinking Ruffins pushing the tables around and punching each other in the face.
    I do have a question for you is your table edge wrapped with a solid piece or wood around the edge of a solid wood top?

Aj

This might be the same question as AJ posted - is the top solid wood with a solid wood edge on all four sides? If so, won't expansion / contraction be a problem with the band across the end, perpendicular to the grain of the table?

What about using hooks on the underside of the at table? You secure one table to the other by lifting the table with the receded hook over the table with the protruding hook.
    Hook.png

That's for a flush underside. You can try making the connection external, like a ball-hitch connection.
    Last edited by Minh Tran; 09-23-2016 at 1:08 AM.

Ryan, I would not bother with clamps unless specified in the contract. The table looks as solid as a brick dunny and I don't think they will wander around. There is also the consideration that if the floor/paving is not perfectly level, they may not line up anyway.

I am concerned about the band across the end grain especially since it is pine. The expansion and contraction will be substantial. Can you delete the end band? Cheers

Yes guys it is a band around the edge. I had just used glue, biscuits and pocket screws to attach the band around the outside. Is that not the same effect as a breadboard end? It did a good job of leveling out the table. Am I going to have problems? This is for a couple of good friends and I want to make a quality product. I also have to build 5 more of them 8' long with benches.

Ryan,
    If I understand you correctly, you dont have the equivalent of breadboard ends. It sounds like your facia board is fixed in place along the width of the top, screwed into the end grain. That will keep the top from expanding and contracting along its full width. (Because it cant move due to the screws and biscuits.)

Please dont get me wrong - the top looks very nice. Im just concerned that its going to crack/split oover time.

I address this by only fastening the top at 2 points and letting the screws ride in slots in the facia board. There are other, fancier, ways too.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-23-2016 at 8:10 AM. Reason: Added a possible solution
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You edging is mitered, breadboard ends are not. This allows the table to expand / contract freely as the breadboard end is attached with oversized screw holes. The breadboard end is usually tongue and grooved to the table as well.

I don't know if you'll have a problem, but I wouldn't have done it as you have.

The tables do look great though!

If your tables will be outside, I suspect you will see some cracking around the miter.

Personally, I would not use even breadboards on these. If they ever get stood on, or lifted frequently by the bb-ends, you can have trouble. Shoot, I made a coffee table in my house with a bb-end that my 10-year old has made wobbly after 2 years. The job of the bb-end is to keep the table flat, at the expense of a solid connection to the end. I would instead add battens to the underside (loosely joined) if you are concerned with flatness. This table lacks an apron, so battens might be a good idea anyway.

I would not connect the ends of the tables to each other either.

Thanks for all the input.

I guess it isn't really a breadboard as much as I wrapped the table in a 2x1.125 skirt. This was just to give the tables a more finished look.

I could add some angle iron under to keep it flat.
    20160826_222355.jpg

Most of my family and friends that have 'expanding' tables (with leaves) have a means to lock the table halves together, and/or the leaves, if installed. The most common method of locking them has been: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/159...FYOEaQodJtwK1A or very similar. (These are not drop-leaf tables, but 'insert' leaves.)

This lock has the benefit of no protrusions to snag clothes, legs, and straps of people walking by when your tables are not joined. I would think anything left protruding from the end of the table won't last 20 minutes in actual use...?

(Sounds like others have you on right breadboard/batten track.)