Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you guys buy your 6" diameter dust port accessories?

Where do you guys buy your 6" diameter dust port accessories?

Hello all,

I have been looking around for a source on 6 inch diameter dust collection accessories. It seems to me that the most commonly available are 4". As of right now I am looking to upgrade my table saw with something like this https://www.amazon.ca/POWERTEC-70132...32901&sr=1-164 but with a 6 inch diameter port instead of a 4. I'm not sure whether it's because I am from Canada and no Canadian stores carry this stuff but I have searched on google and can't really seem to find any in the US either... except for 6" to 4" reducer ports lol... not really what I was looking for.

I would also like to get a 6" diameter jointer port if possible too. Thanks for your time.

Oneida sells them, but they're not cheap! I ended up making all mine. Blast gates made out of 6in PVC connectors and melamine, and ports and reducers etc made out of HVAC fittings bought from the BORG. Then ordered 4in, 5in, 6in flex duct from Amazon to mate up to various machines. I tried heating and bending/reducing 6in PVC to get it to mate to 4 or 5in ports, but didn't have much luck.

Grizzly has soom 6" fittings. They are not as expensive as others and the shipping is fast, at least it was for my purchase.

Woodtek makes a simple cheap 6" metal dust port, last time I was at Woodworker's Supply they were under $10, Woodtek is their store brand.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use HVAC vent fittings, connectors, elbows, etc. and blast gates from Lee Valley.

I upgraded my dust ports on TS and Jointer with 6in HVAC fittings from Home Depot. Wish I could figure out a way to upgrade my 15in planers dust port. Bandsaw is good with two 4in ports.

Thanks all for the replies. I will check out these options. I currently have a sloped shroud on the bottom of my ridgid r4512 table saw but it's port is 4 inch. If I could figure out a way to modify it to take a 6 inch HVAC piece from home depot I'd be fine with that, but I'm not really sure on how to do it cleanly as the floor of the shroud is sloped downward. Anyone ever do something like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    I upgraded my dust ports on TS and Jointer with 6in HVAC fittings from Home Depot. Wish I could figure out a way to upgrade my 15in planers dust port. Bandsaw is good with two 4in ports.
    If you really want to upgrade it take the dust shroud off and take it to a HVAC metal fabricator. While years ago most even small HVAC installers had their own metal shops with shears, brakes and Pittsburgh lock formers most of them sub the metal work out now so it may take a few calls but you will find someone that can copy it with a 6 inch port for not a whole lot of money, don't stop at the first quote either, a particular shop may be slammed and you get the "I will do it for "stupid" amount price". The basic shape is very similar to a register boot and while 99% of the ones used are standard production sizes the shops will have built plenty of odd ones for old work especially for old houses that weren't built in the age of central heating and air. Don't expect a work of art though, these guys build utility fittings which you are only supposed to see if you are in an attic, basement or crawl space!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

ClearVue sells 6" blast gates and other pieces. I make ports and connectors for 6" flex from 6" PVC pipe.

Look around town for the local spiral pipe dealer. I bought mine all locally at an HVAC place that specializes in spiral pipe, I'm in Salt Lake City and there are a couple different places here in town to buy it.

I have made a few 6" flanges by using a piece of 3/4" ply, and a short piece of 6" pipe, just cut a 6" hole in the ply to fit the pipe, and caulked around the pipe, then put some small flat head screws through the pipe into the plywood. For my unisaw, I left the original hole and cut a hole in plywood that fit the shape of the hole along the bottom then just bent the pipe to fit along the bottom, and cut the hole on the upper side to fit what was left of the pipe. Not round, but flat bottom with an oval shape upper. Hope that makes sense.

Oneida. And if they didnt have it on their website Id contact them up about having something custom made.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Rob, I don't know where in Canada you are but here are some places you can check out: Canadian Woodworker, Busy Bee Tools, Elite Tools, KMS Tools, Lee Valley, Workshop supply. Let Google point you to their websites.
    Also check the plumbing section at Home Depot if you're close to one and Windsor Plywood, some Home Hardware stores are willing to order for you, talk to your plumber/hvac guy. I found Amazon is getting awfully expensive for a number of things.
    Btw., that shroud is easy to build from hardboard, plywood or particle board with a short length of 6" hvac pipe.
    I find dust collection in the Woodshop is always a matter improvisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I use HVAC vent fittings, connectors, elbows, etc. and blast gates from Lee Valley.
    That's exactly what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Rob, I don't know where in Canada you are but here are some places you can check out: Canadian Woodworker, Busy Bee Tools, Elite Tools, KMS Tools, Lee Valley, Workshop supply. Let Google point you to their websites.
    Also check the plumbing section at Home Depot if you're close to one and Windsor Plywood, some Home Hardware stores are willing to order for you, talk to your plumber/hvac guy. I found Amazon is getting awfully expensive for a number of things.
    Btw., that shroud is easy to build from hardboard, plywood or particle board with a short length of 6" hvac pipe.
    I find dust collection in the Woodshop is always a matter improvisation.
    Thanks John, I am familiar with a few of those retailers but haven't looked at their DC offerings. I will go through them all with a fine tooth comb. When you refer to Amazon getting too expensive, do you have any idea as to why? and do you mean amazon.com or .ca?

thanks again.