Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised panels with a Festool OF 1400-EQ router

Blog Entries

Raised panels with a Festool OF 1400-EQ router

I have the router mentioned above. I need to make raised panels for storm shutters. I also have the Festool track saw, jig saw and older MFT table. I am more of a hand tool guy but I want to get these shutters made as quick as possible. I have eight 8 glued up panels (24 1/2" x 10 1/4" x 7/8" thick). The raised area will be about 1 1/4" wide, leaving a 3/16-1/4" deep x 1/4+" rabbet or tongue & groove on the edge.

I am wondering if the 1400 router will handle bits of the size necessary to make these panels? There is quite a selection of bits for this work. I am wondering which might work on the MFT table and fence without risking damage to the router or my tender body?

The 1400 has enough power to spin a small panel raising bit and according to Festool's specs it works with bits up to 2.4" in diameter, just take several light passes. I've never tried this with a handheld router, only in a table mounted one.

You could make a simple disposable table surface for this process. Flat piece of plywood, cut a hole that fits the bit, clamp the plywood to a workbench, mount the router underneath with countersunk bolts, use a straight board clamped to the plywood as a fence, with a cutout for your profile. This assumes the router base has mounting holes, mine is 8000 miles away so I can't check.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    I actually have an old Freud router table, one of the original router table kits I imagine. I have an old Makita router in it. I'm not sure how it handled the large oak falling on the building that housed it. The insurance company repair crew threw many of my work tools in a small bath room while they were doing repairs. There wasn't enough room left to change your mind in that room. The pieces are just starting to emerge again which is why I was thinking about the Festool solution.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I personally would use a panel raiser only in a table.
    If you're using a softer hardwood like poplar or a softwood, reduce the speed to 12,000 RPM or so (should say in the instructions for the bit), take light passes and listen to the router motor. I don't know if it will work on hard maple or oak - you'll have to try.
    Another option for a smaller router motor is a vertical panel raiser but the surface might end up a bit rougher.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    I personally would use a panel raiser only in a table.
    Ditto. Raised panel bits are frightening enough on a table, I'd never consider running one in a hand held router. If that big cutter grabs the wood there's no way you'll be able to control it. If you decide to do it, I recommend a pair of chain saw chaps to prevent the cutter from severing your femoral artery when it flies off the piece into your leg.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 09-22-2016 at 9:47 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I agree with the other posters, Mike. I have seen Youtube videos of hand held panel raising with a router but I wouldn't do it due to the safety and control issues mentioned. Mark's idea of a simple table will allow you to overcome these and get a good result. Even if you choose to take the safety risk, I think the finish will look rough due to the lack of control

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Ditto. Raised panel bits are frightening enough on a table, I'd never consider running one in a hand held router. If that big cutter grabs the wood there's no way you'll be able to control it. If you decide to do it, I recommend a pair of chain saw chaps to prevent the cutter from severing your femoral artery when it flies off the piece into your leg.
    Thanks for the laugh this morning..I needed a boost :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Forward to 6:15

Cutters that size (>2.5"D) are unsafe at any speed, (my take).
    Raised panels, doors and drawers should be considered shaper tasks.
    But the 1400 could stand a few raised panels if the the thing was in a router table with a fence of some sort.
    The risk with small routers, doing heavy duty, is that the work can change shape if there is a lot material waste.
    And if the panels were not flat and straight to begin with, there can be surprises.
    There might be instantaneous high cutter loads from the work being misshapen.
    And small routers can't stand much of that. They burn out.
    Furthermore, 5+ passes (where a bigger router might take 3) will wear out a cutter prematurely.

Blog Entries
    I typically use hand tools over machines precisely due to the risk to life and limb with the machines. I like the Festool tools because I find them to be the safest of the motor operated tools. I was hoping the Festool: table, guide rail and router housing might make them more safe than a router table not less safe. The guy who started me in woodworking is missing part of a finger, which he lost to a router table. The wood is glued up panels of 4/4 stock, Lowe's SYP, trim boards planed to 7/8" by hand.

I may now be convinced to keep doing the job with hand tools.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 09-23-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Mike, it will spin a larger bit, but I'd avoid the largest kind. Do remember that this is NOT a hand-held job...it must be in a table to do the work safely. Multiple passes will be the best solution to mitigate slightly less power than from a typical 15 amp router as well as for cut quality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim,

Maybe I am missing something here. I know what a router table is, I have an old one. On the other hand Festool tools are typically built to work on a table too, an MFT table. I know the difference in the two tables too as I have used both. I am just not clear on whether there is some inherent advantage mounting the router in a plate that hangs in a groove in a "router table" vs using the router in a somewhat similar jig attached to a guide rail via steel rods, run across an MFT table top?

It may be that the router is better secured in the plate hung in the table top, but I think a decent case could be made for the other side as well. I could see one of those large router bits getting loose and coming through the plate in the table top, or the hole the bit fits into in a router table. I am not sure a large router bit isn't more secure in the guide rail system. The bit would have to get through the router or through a 3/4" MFT table top to get free.

It seems to me that the more likely issue would be the piece of wood being run across the router table getting pulled or thrown, like can happen with table saws that pinch a piece of wood against the fence. Pulled or thrown wood can cause injury or the operator's hand can get pulled or thrown into the blade. It seems to me that the wood being worked can be secured quite securely to a Festool table, using Festool clamps, then sandwiched between the table and the router. It seems to me I would be able to feel how well the bit is working while pressing down on it with the router vs trying to slowly crank up the bit in a table with no feel for how hard the bit is working.

However, never having tried using a Festool guide rail and MFT with that large a bit I could be wrong. I was hoping someone here might have actually tried using a Festool router this way and have experience to relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Hi Jim,

Maybe I am missing something here. I know what a router table is, I have an old one. On the other hand Festool tools are typically built to work on a table too, an MFT table. I know the difference in the two tables too as I have used both. I am just not clear on whether there is some inherent advantage mounting the router in a plate that hangs in a groove in a "router table" vs using the router in a somewhat similar jig attached to a guide rail via steel rods, run across an MFT table top?

It may be that the router is better secured in the plate hung in the table top, but I think a decent case could be made for the other side as well. I could see one of those large router bits getting loose and coming through the plate in the table top, or the hole the bit fits into in a router table. I am not sure a large router bit isn't more secure in the guide rail system. The bit would have to get through the router or through a 3/4" MFT table top to get free.

It seems to me that the more likely issue would be the piece of wood being run across the router table getting pulled or thrown, like can happen with table saws that pinch a piece of wood against the fence. Pulled or thrown wood can cause injury or the operator's hand can get pulled or thrown into the blade. It seems to me that the wood being worked can be secured quite securely to a Festool table, using Festool clamps, then sandwiched between the table and the router. It seems to me I would be able to feel how well the bit is working while pressing down on it with the router vs trying to slowly crank up the bit in a table with no feel for how hard the bit is working.

However, never having tried using a Festool guide rail and MFT with that large a bit I could be wrong. I was hoping someone here might have actually tried using a Festool router this way and have experience to relate.
    Mike, your thinking is mostly on-point - on a table, the workpiece jumps. Handheld - or track-guided, the router will jump assuming the workpiece is completely and totally secured. From experience, a jumping handheld router can do a lot of damage quickly, and workpieces that seem like they were secured suddenly aren't so secure.

Now that all being said, the OF1400 is essentially a 2.25ish hp router. Spinning panel raisers in medium powered routers, whether table or freehand, is on the border of iffy. On a table, you need several passes to overcome the [lack of] power. Freehand, the router just doesn't have the weight and stability to overcome say, a nasty change in grain direction that causes a catch. Yes, the track would help keep things stable, and maybe best case you end up with a chunk taken out of your workpiece. Worst case, out of your femoral artery...

The router that is more frequently used in the manner you are suggesting is the OF2200. That router has the weight and power to make attempting something like this a little more sane. You can look up Brice Burrell on youtube - I think he has a video of using a 2200 to make cabinet doors entirely handheld, including the panel raising. I'm guessing you don't have a huge need to spend $900 on a "handheld shaper."

EDIT: Here's the video I mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4LoecxxmQ
    Last edited by Victor Robinson; 09-23-2016 at 5:08 PM.

How you mount to the table isn't important...whatever works for you is fine. I was just emphasizing that for swinging these larger cutters, you need that beast in a table for safety. You likely know that already, but a newbee reading this may not. While I personally wouldn't prefer to put the OF1400 in a table (it's optimized for hand-held use) there's nothing that precludes it. My table has the commonly used PC7518 dedicated for that purpose and my OF1400 and OF1010 (and DW618) get used for all the other things that routers are great for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Got it, chances are a large panel raising bit may cause a medium sized router like the 1400 to jump "off track", either tearing up the arms and guide rail or worse hitting wonky grain and finding some new path on it's own. A heavier/more powerful router would be less likely to "jump" off course. That I can understand.

Now I have to figure whether it is worth the price of a heavier router to place in a table, maybe the one I have or one I make. The concern is more that the router will take off on some errant course and less that the bit would tear through the mounting plate or toss the wood.