Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Grizzly Ad Misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tabor View Post
    What seems to be misleading to me is showing a picture of a DeWalt planer and cart when its not included in the sale...
    I didn't actually notice the Dewalt planer in the ad photo...I didn't look that close. So you make a good point. Were it me developing the ad, I wouldn't put a photo of something not included in the promotion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Every ad we see is in some way is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    Yes, the ad is a bit misleading, considering that they are showing a Dewalt planer in the ad. I have never been disappointed in Grizzly customer service though. A phone call might do wonders.

Steve
    I have exactly the same experiences and did notice the DeWalt planer in the advertisement. I doubt the people who developed the advertisement had any idea of the tools covered under the exclusions. Someone should have picked it up though. They have top notch customer service.

I worked in printing doing a lot of ads for large companies. If they showed a product they had better have it in stock or offer a better one. The ad shows a DeWalt planer so that would fall into this category. We had one customer that put a picture in there ad and it wasn't on sale like the claimed all items that were on sale for 15% off. They ended up having to eat about $70,000 worth of product. There were a few states that forced them to sell the product at the reduced price. Best Buy had a stereo that was priced wrong in their add and I ended up getting it for that price but there was another person that didn'tpush it and had to pay the full price.

I used to work in a big box home improvement store similar to the local blue or orange guys. They always put items in their ads that were not always available in the store, much to the frustration of customers and sometimes me. I think these guys just put tools in their ads just to get folks to either come into the store, or in this case, click on their ads. They are hoping you will find something to purchase anyway.

"ad misleading" Isn't that redundant?
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Received this Grizzly ad for a 20% off weekend only sale on select items. Since I've been looking for a Dewalt 735 planer with roll around base I was all ready to place my order. Turns out the planer was not included in their sale. misleading?
    Absolutely misleading and there's no real excuse for it - pretty basic consumer protection issue. Whether or not this was packaged by a third-party firm or in-house, they have to take ownership; i've looked at a couple of grizzly machines on occasion, but this is the sort of used car approach that would steer me away from buying there. I appreciate sales, but appreciate straight dealing more.

Received this Grizzly ad for a 20% off weekend only sale on select items. Since I've been looking for a Dewalt 735 planer with roll around base I was all ready to place my order. Turns out the planer was not included in their sale. misleading?

It's actually a few dollars cheaper at Amazon LINKY .

Totally misleading but do we really think we should get something for less because of a mistake? Seems tacky on both sides. Dave

I agree its misleading. It's because of ads like this that I have become a cynic with regard to such things. I disregard sales because I don't think we're often getting a deal. Those woodcraft sales they put out are a waste of paper/bandwidth. They exclude everything in the store besides the left half of the cardboard tube the toilet paper comes on. And even that's only for the women's room; the men's room roll is excluded from the sale as well.

Misleading definitely, but a said reflection of the times in which we live IMO.

When Woodcraft posts an ad that says Laguna products are 15% off, the price is 15% less than the normal advertised price. I know because I bought a band saw that way. Your choice of Woodcraft as an example isn't a very good one.

Blog Entries
    The inclusion of a picture of an item that is not part of the sale is unfortunate but, probably more the art dept. boo-boo than a purposeful mislead ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The inclusion of a picture of an item that is not part of the sale is unfortunate but, probably more the art dept. boo-boo than a purposeful mislead ;-)
    When we printed the ads submit proofs to the company for approval from both management and ad people. If it shows in the ad it is on sale period not a bait and switch which is illegal

When I see and read ads, I always think caveat emptor and look for the fine print....

I would saw this was just a mistake and not a bait and switch.

On the other hand, Harbor Freight Tools has the "not valid with any other discounts" (no 20% off coupon) disclaimer of their ads in tiny tiny print that few people can read all the time, right along side of the 20% coupon.