Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "New" (1940) Unisaw Gloat

Truly a nice find,hope you enjoy it.I am contemplating a new saw.The Unisaw is on my list to ck.out.,but wow,.1940 that saw is almost as old as me.Bet it is just as good as a new one.

Hey Dale....
    Sorry to disappoint you. The 1940 unisaw is not even close to the modern unisaw of today! Not even close!

I can write a PhD dissertation on why this machine is better than today's unisaw. But I wont. Surfice it to say, there are many features on the old saw that no longer exist on the new saw. I am not particularly happy with the new unisaw and that is why I openly endorse the general 350 and 650 table saw for this particular class of machine. But should a chance to snag one of these arise, I dont even need to think about it. It will be a mad stampede to the phone to yell "SOLD".

Now for you guys looking for one as well, take note. The unisaws that predate this 1940 unit had four feet inplace of the cast iron base ring. If you see one of these, **SNAG** it ASAP! Four footers are rare and they are wonderful small profile cabinet saws! I also prefer the saws with cast iron goose egg motor covers but this cover can now be replaced. But dont call Delta looking for this part. PM me if you need the contact info to find one. ITs not me but I know where to get them.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

One other point. This fence is horrid. iTs the one item I dont like. Never really liked any of the delta fences. You can put on an HTC Beisemeyer clone or an actual Beisemeyer and resolve this.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev,your not dissapointing me.The general 650 is another one on my list to ck.out.The 3rd one on the list is the Shop Fox,which I have heard some good reports on,including price.I will ck.them all out pretty good before I make a choice.

Ernie -- nice resto job! Saw your pics over on OWWM this morning and admired it there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    I upgraded to a horse and a half. It sounded like a jet and I think the rpm is too much, actually.
    The older unisaws (in the vintage of Ernie's) had/have 1725 RPM motors with appropriately sized pulleys. The replacement you used probably is 3450 RPM which is the speed used in newer (~1950 and on) unisaws. If you didn't replace the pulley, your arbor and blade are spinning at twice the design speed. Not a good thing. If you still have this saw, I'd recommend changing out the motor pulley.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Nice Machine Ernie

Looks like my 60s unisaw,not much difference other than the motor !!
    Good score man !!!! Ive been looking for 4 footed model and still have not found one yet .
    Seth..
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

I'll check..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    Ernie -- nice resto job! Saw your pics over on OWWM this morning and admired it there, too.

The older unisaws (in the vintage of Ernie's) had/have 1725 RPM motors with appropriately sized pulleys. The replacement you used probably is 3450 RPM which is the speed used in newer (~1950 and on) unisaws. If you didn't replace the pulley, your arbor and blade are spinning at twice the design speed. Not a good thing. If you still have this saw, I'd recommend changing out the motor pulley.
    It's been years, I can't remember. I do remember going to the source to buy a new motor, because I couldn't rewind the old one. Even if that was the case, I don't think I wanted it. I don't think I changed pulleys, but I remember changing the switch. The original had a toggle switch, and I distinctly remember the guy wouldn't recommend a switch because of liability. He was as much help as a blind seeing eye dog. I quit using that saw six years ago. Come to think of it, I used the pulley from the old motor on the new one. I need to check it out, though. Thanks.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    I remember changing the switch. The original had a toggle switch
    You wouldn't happen to still have that toggle switch? If it's the original toggle switch with the art deco style black and silver cover plate, they routinely go for $150+ on eBay depending on condition. They are much sought after by machine restorers.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

You rat!!!

You wouldn't happen to still have that toggle switch? If it's the original toggle switch with the art deco style black and silver cover plate, they routinely go for $150+ on eBay depending on condition. They are much sought after by machine restorers.
    You're just doing this out of meaness
    I've remodeled the shop eight years ago and I haven't the foggest. But, I'm certainly gonna' take a look now
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Talk about timing!

I picked up yesterday what seems to be a twin of Ernie's saw.

Bought it from the granddaughter of the original owner. He had bought it to build cabinets for his house. His daughter, who was there when I picked it up, said he hardly ever used it. He was 96 when he passed away so I guess it could have been made in the 40's.

I don't know what model number it is, but the serial number is 60-7791. It still has the mitre gauge and came with the original blade changing wrench. The top is in perfect condition, zero rust and no dark drink rings either. I'm not even going to paint it, just give it a good cleaning.

I paid $250 for it and she threw in 5 jorgie bar clamps to boot! I am totally jazzed.

Click on the link in the add for pics.

http://slo.craigslist.org/tls/100226945.html

I already have a MM sliding, scoring TS so I don't need this one. I wonder what to ask for it?

Nice find Nic,Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    I don't know what model number it is, but the serial number is 60-7791. It still has the mitre gauge and came with the original blade changing wrench. <SNIP>I already have a MM sliding, scoring TS so I don't need this one. I wonder what to ask for it?
    Nice score! Now there's that switch I mentioned to Phil -- DO NOT THROW IT AWAY!

If you're looking to flip it, I'd clean it up and e*ay it. With the original switch and wrench you'd do very well...

Oh, the serial number dates it to 1948.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

That's older than I am!

Oh, the serial number dates it to 1948.

I checked out the saw today...

The arbor is tight, trunnion works smooth and I couldn't find any repair work (welds).

It's got the cast iron base too.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    That's older than I am
    Me too, thank God!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Hey Ernie; great find and it's nice to see you are a local. I got my 1964 Rockwell/Delta from a used dealer in New Bern. I replaced the original tube rail fence set-up with a Unifence, new paint job (industrial gray) and made a homemade motor cover.
    You may run into a problem trying to replace the original motor. The Delta catalog lists replacement motors as being specific for this type of saw, with the oval shaped cut-out. Seems the newer Unisaw replacement motors will bump into the cabinet side due to the oval shaped opening. Mine is a 220 volt motor with 11/2 HP, and has to be replaced with something similar.
    If you don't mind doing some surgery on the cabinet, the replacement Unisaw motors should work fine.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.