Thread: Window Glazing

Window Glazing

I've built new storm windows for the basement in our old (about 100 years) house. These are really not that noticeable (all are at ground level and are located behind plants) and I've planned on using Lexan for the "window" material. Is there any particular reason why I'd need to glaze the Lexan as opposed to securing it in place with something like quarter round?

Blog Entries
    A picture would help. I can't visualize what you've done. Have you made window frames for the lexan?

The lexan can buckle and possibly break some of the sealing. I would not trust it in shade behind plants. If you proceed with your plan use some good rot resistant wood like mahogany for sash and wood stops, don't depend on good paint alone.

Blog Entries
    Glazing is used around glass to make the glass weather tight. You would need to do the same for Lexan; however, plastic expands and contracts more with temperature change than glass does, so regular glazing putty my not work well. Also Lexan will haze over pretty quickly exposed to sun light, even the UV resistant types.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute