Thread: Need Help With A Bandsaw Blade...

Need Help With A Bandsaw Blade...

It's been a while since I've purchased a blade and I need a 3/8" x 145" for my MM16. Any suggestions? I need it for general use cutting curves. Is this the right width blade for that? I'm retired, so $ is a consideration. Thanks.

My choice for contour cutting is either a 1/4" 6tpi hook or 3/8" 4 or 6 tpi hook. Be aware the minimum thickness of stock is 1/2"with 3 tpi and 3/4" with a 4 tpi blade, you want at least 3 teeth in the stock at all times. I use Lenox Diemaster II bi-metal blades since although they cost more than standard carbon blades they outlast them 5-7 times. A blade for the MM16 should be around $50 and two good sources are Spectrum Supply and Woodcraftbands. I would use which ever is cheaper, usually woodcraftbands is for a single band since Spectrum Supply's shipping is high for a single band.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...bandsaw-blades!

This is some basic blade info I wrote about 6 years ago.

PS If you don't use the saw enough to buy the more durable band Lenox Flexback carbon blades would be my choice and should run about $15-$17 for your saw. Also note bi-metal blades like about 50% more tension than a carbon blade but your saw is MORE than capable of producing the required tension for the bi-metal blades all the way up to its max blade width.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 09-30-2016 at 9:02 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Ditto on the Diemaster. I run a 3/16 or 1/4" on my snowflake and it lasts surprisingly long. I can also resaw up to about 6" with it if needed. Found it is particularly good for tenons. I crank it up to about 35000 for that. Dave

In Knoxville a company makes blades from Lenox stock for an excellent price. If they are not too busy they will make the blades while you wait. Maybe someone in your area does the same. I usually get 5 or more at a time. (I also sharpen each blade several times with a Dremel tool since around here leaves grow on trees instead of money.)

The type of blade, the number of teeth, and the width depends on the wood, the thickness, and the minimum radius of the curve. I mostly cut green wood so 1/2" 3-tpi or 40-tpi blades are perfect for me.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I buy my blades from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. I order on line and it shows up a few days later. I normally buy two at a time.

I buy them from Suffolk Machinery, the maker of Timberwolf blades. Prices are reasonable, IMHO. You're not going to find them in retail places for the most part since they are not a size typical of the mass market saws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I get my bandsaw blades at "SuperCut" Great blades and low prices.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I know that some folks have had negative experiences with Timberwolf blades but that's the blade I used to keep on the crate MM16 back in the trade show days and I never had a negative experience with one. As always, blade selection and use is the probably the biggest factor in getting the results you want. I see a lot of people buy one blade (and sometimes, a very expensive one), thinking it will be the silver bullet for all their cutting needs and that will never be the case. Buy a few blades, don't be afraid to experiment.

FWIW, the supplier Minimax USA used for many years was Industrial-blade-dot-net, in Socal. Good prices and a number of stocks to choose from. They do sell to the public. Hope this helps,

Erik