Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are radial arm saws worth anything these days?

Are radial arm saws worth anything these days?

My uncle has a Dewalt Powershop radial arm saw he's selling. He offered it to me for free, but I didn't want it. He's had for sale on Craiglist for months, and it's only $100.

Something that came to mind is if radial arm saws are even worth anything at all. They take up so much space, and sliding miter saws do just about everything a radial arm saw does except the ripping function and dado blades, and works a lot better in my opinion. I used a RAS when I was in high school, and never really liked it. That thing was a mean machine, and for some reason that thing always lunged forward on me. Anyway... I guess it's really not a tool of the modern day workshop

I use my OMGA everyday. As for value... it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    -Lud

To a large degree, they've fallen out of favor for the reasons you mentioned.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The people who love them seem to truly love them. That said, they don't command a lot of money as a whole.

They climb towards you for a couple of reasons, but mostly because people put the wrong type of blade on them. With a quality blade designed for it, a RAS is a versatile, accurate, and easy to use machine. I use mine most every day, and would not want to be w/o it.

John

Blog Entries
    Them's fightin' words son! I have no need for one but, those who love them, really love them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I would have a DeWalt MBF or an OMGA if I had a large shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I own one 10" 1hp unit and one 9" 1/2 hp and would not part with either. Total cost for both was under $300.00. I walk up to my 10" with total confidence in cross-cutting accurately.
    I suspect a modern compound miter saw would be a better choice for many but those old Dewalts go cheap. I have a thing for old vintage quality tools though.

I agree, not much interest in them now.

I wish I had room in the shop for mine, a 45 year old 10" Craftsman. It will do a variety of things, like drill holes horizontally in the end of a 16' post. I used it often as a drum sander, cut a zillion dados and a made a bunch of picture frame molding from shelving pine. One nice thing is either with crosscuts or ripping you can see the cut in progress. It is in fact not a good tool for the absent minded or accident prone. (BTW, always push, never pull)

It also made a nice work table for small assembly.

But I don't have enough room and have other tools now that will do everything except precision end drilling. My RAS is for sale - I'll take a nickle. Will run on 110/220. I'll even throw in the excellent custom stand with a shelf and a drawer. :-)

JKJ

I had a Dewalt MBF. I found it very under powered, dust collection virtually impossible to implement and took up far more room than it deserved.
    SCMS is a better option, IMO.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Try cutting gable vent louver parts on a SCM.

I use one regularly for docking timber ready for machining. It's a 12" 5 horse DeWalt. The most important thing is the correct blade. Negative raked blades are a must - cures most of the complaints above. All the bad stories about grabbing etc are as a result of incorrect blades in my experience. Compound sliders are ok for building sites but they are not an industrial machine unless you spend a lot on a non portable one. They had one in one of the shops I worked in and it was a dream to use. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    My uncle has a Dewalt Powershop radial arm saw he's selling. He offered it to me for free, but I didn't want it. He's had for sale on Craiglist for months, and it's only $100.

Something that came to mind is if radial arm saws are even worth anything at all. They take up so much space, and sliding miter saws do just about everything a radial arm saw does except the ripping function and dado blades, and works a lot better in my opinion. I used a RAS when I was in high school, and never really liked it. That thing was a mean machine, and for some reason that thing always lunged forward on me. Anyway... I guess it's really not a tool of the modern day workshop
    You answered your own question... You dont want it, even for free. And no one on craigslist wants it, even for only $100...

can not be beat in a production Enviroment. I think we had about 3 of the 10 in units in the door shop and one in the warehouse for cutting moulding to length. We even used it to trim narrow doors to height! I would love to have one if I had the space, A nice big 12 in unit would be grand. SCMS just does not do a good arm saw justice.

I have a 30 year old 10 inch Craftsman RAS I use almost every day.... It sits next to my DeWalt 12 inch mitersaw that I hardly ever use ....