Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used one of these in a woodshop? Grizzly G0779

Anyone used one of these in a woodshop? Grizzly G0779

No, but it looks pretty impressive. More like a milling machine head affixed to a drill press. The R-8 Spindle would allow some options a standard drill press would never allow as well.

I should be so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    No, but it looks pretty impressive. More like a milling machine head affixed to a drill press. The R-8 Spindle would allow some options a standard drill press would never allow as well.

It is a milling machine head. My brother has the milling machine it was based off of, mediocre milling machine, but it was cheap compared to. Was just wondering how it translates to a drill press. As it is based off of a milling machine I don't see any reason not to use it like oneoccasionally .

I would think the R-8 taper would be a pain for drill press use, the standard morse taper would give you more options for drill bits and chucks. The geared head might come in handy though.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I would think the R-8 taper would be a pain for drill press use, the standard morse taper would give you more options for drill bits and chucks. The geared head might come in handy though.
    Owning several milling machines with R-8 I can assure you that there are infinitely more options available with the R-8 than with the Jacobs of Morse taper. It is far easier to change attachments with the R8

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    Owning several milling machines with R-8 I can assure you that there are infinitely more options available with the R-8 than with the Jacobs of Morse taper. It is far easier to change attachments with the R8

Bill
    I agree, I have two mills with R8 and prefer that to the morse taper. Either needs a drawbar but unlike R8 a lot of the morse taper tools I use with my wood and metal lathes are not made to accept a drawbar.

A mill of any kind can be quite useful on a wood shop, depending on the kinds of things you do. I've made tools, brackets, jigs and more and have repaired many things made from metals, plastic, and wood. I made a critical component missing from a sliding table that I bought used.. (milled from a block of lignum vitae)

To be useful, however, it needs a good X-Y table. Without that it's just another drill press.

JKJ

You would a collet for each size drill bit you plan to use with it. If you use an R-8 to Jacobs chuck, I don't see an advantage over other heavy duty drill presses. The top speed seems slow for woodworking, more for metalworking. Just my thoughts.

John

For woodworking,I think its over kill for metal working the head would have to be dial in each time you move the head.But it does look like its a beast,few dollars more maybe a full blown used Bridgeport

Larry, My son and I just took delivery on one. Ours came with oil already in head (instructions say it is empty). We built a gantry crane from wood with a harbor freight chain hoist to get it off the pallet. Then used pipes from pipe clamps to set it on and roll it into place. Ours came without 220 plug.

No hurry, but after you use it for a while for different purposes let me know if you would what your impression is. Enjoy.

Thanks, Larry

Kinda looks like its an in between product not fitting for either. Too much for woodworking and not enough for metal working. I cant see why a woodworker would need something like that. Check out the Delta 18-900L or the Powermatic equivalent.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    For woodworking,I think its over kill for metal working the head would have to be dial in each time you move the head.But it does look like its a beast,few dollars more maybe a full blown used Bridgeport
    Yes, and the Bridgeport will have more spindle travel, a lot more swing, and a higher top speed.

I use my Bridgeport all the time for woodworking with a router bit. A rotary table lets me cut circle's and circle inlays, A dividing head lets me do fluting on round dowels/shafts. The power feed makes that an enjoyable job. I run my Bridgeport with a VFD, which lets me double the spindle speed, but I hardly ever use do it with straight router bits as they cut well enough. The table allows me to drill holes accurate to a thousandth. Very handy when fitting things like barrel hinges to small one off boxes.

And of course I use it for metalworking.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I cant see why a woodworker would need something like that.
    Exactly. You have no idea why I would want that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Exactly. You have no idea why I would want that machine.
    Please explain then. Id like to know why.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!