Thread: Shop on Skids??

Shop on Skids??

Am in the early planning stages and probalby won`t do anything till spring.
    But, have experienced most of the drawbacks to sharing a shop with cars and the stuff in garages. I am planning to build a small Woodworking shop in the backyard. Still debating size, 12 X16, 12 X 20 or 16 X20.
    Since I my first shop only had 7ft of headroom I want more. the garage is 28X28, 1 1/2 stories with 9ft ceilings, but I`m only using about 12 ft across the front now.
    So am thinking of a small barn with a high open roof and partial loft.
    And since I`ve had my fill of standing on concrete floors, am thinking of building on skids with a wood floor. Since this is Iowa(Ugly cold damp winters, Hot humid summers) I`ll be going heavy on the isulation too. Any ideas, suggestions or drawbacks?

Hmm I may have left out the most important point? There is a kitchen remodel in the future and I`ll be building the cabinets. they will be melamine carcase with knotty pine face frames and doors. Beyond that project most jobs I would do would be smaller and even the smallest shop size listed would accomodate them.
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 10-02-2005 at 10:05 PM.

I can certainly understand wanting a "softer" floor underfoot, especially as I age and my feet are starting to hurt some, but I don't understand the skid part. Do you intend to make this portable so that it could be moved? If so, I would think that a structure much over 12' wide and 16' long would still pose a problem. I would suggest doing a pier and beam structure of the largest footprint you can comfortably afford. IF you want to move it at some point in the future, there are house movers that can still do the job safely. This way you can run electrical, plumbing if you choose, and insulate under the structure easily enough, but it will be a lot more stabil, and less prone to water and/or insect damage.
    you can still do a concrete pad, and build a wood floor on top of it for comfort. If I had the head room in my shop I'm rehabbing, I'd think seriously about doing this, but I'm under 8 to start with and can't afford to lose another 2.5 or so inches.
    Good luck and keep us informed on your decisions. Jim.

Jim, good luck with your project. I would ultimatley like to do the same thing. As a free standing shop and while you are doing it I think go for the largest size you can do financially and will fit on the property within code etc. I stand on my 16 X20 deck and that would be the perfect size for me. Enough rooom around the sides for pleny of bench and equipment space and room for the table saw to be in the middle. Good luck Jim!
    Corey

Jim the skid question is just that at this point. At one time in this part of the country a building on skids was not considered a permanent structure,and therfore did not take as heavy a ding on taxes.

Was talking to a friend in town who built a nice 2 story(he had a steep bank that fell off behind his driveway) shop28 X 32 poured concrete below ground level and wood above and he expected a tax value around $20K, they estimated his value at $44K. He has yet to wire the building too.
    He seemed to think even on skids, if electricity was hooked up they might consider it a permanent structure?
    On of those things I need to check out?

Jim...go 16x20 for sure...that's a great size for a shop and any smaller makes cabinet making a cramped affair. Heck it was crowded in my old 22x20 for that matter having to share it with a bunch of other stuff...

Jim,
    check out www.barnplans.com I purchased their 12x16 'minibarn' which has a loft over half of the length. It is designed to be a 'portable' structure, with PT 'foundation' and therefore fits your 'portable' building criteria. They also have larger sizes available. The propietor, Dano is a great guy, and will even call you if you have any questions. I never did get that 'Round Tuit' and build my shop, but when I do, that's where I'm starting.

Don't forget, if your'e doing that kitchen remodel, the current shop can hold either the carcasses or the parts for same so you don't have to build for room to hold them. 192 sq ft is small and likely wont' be 'enough' room, or so many have told me. I currently share 1000 sq ft, but honestly for most of my work, I could get buy with a LOT less space.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 10-03-2005 at 6:45 AM.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Go bigger for sure, but you might want to check with your local codes. You may not be allowed to build a barn or shed, or workshop (with a power feed) on skids.

If you can, be sure the floor is structured properly.

About 10 yrs ago I built one like you are talking about.I was in a trailer park at the time and that was the only way I could build a shop.I have since sold out and bought a house.However the building is still standing today and is still used as a woodworking shop with the usual equipment in it.It is a 12X 20 shed.I started off by putting down 6in.X6in.X20 ft.treated runners spaced every 2 ft.Next I crossed them with 2X4 floor joists every 12 in.Then came a 3/4 in.plywood floor.The rest of the building is just framed up with a peaked roof.I insulated the roof and walls.Wired it for 220.Ran a natural gas line out and put in a thru the wall gas heater.Oh yeah it is framed up with 2x4s and sided with T111 siding.The floor is solid as a rock.The guy who has it now has added a porch to the front of it and everything is still square and looks as good as when I built it.It is also in NE OH.where we have a lot of ground movement due to frost.So if your local codes will allow it,it can be done.If you go to this type of building,dont let anyone talk you into a ventless gas heater,or you will have problems with moisture on your tools.get a heater that vents outside.Good luck,Dale

Thanks for all the coments! Kelley & Corey, I agree 16X20 should be ideal.

Zoning questions may dictate width, as I see it now it will be behind the garage and backed up to the fence that is about 2 ft off the property line.
    I`m on a corner lot with an alley across the back so by putting in a drivethrough gate in the fence off the alley I can move material in and out.
    Ned thanks for the link, thats just what I was looking for.
    Dale, the construction details are very helpful!