Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First hand plane

Blog Entries
    A very nice looking plane indeed. Nice to have some family tools. Here is a thread on cleaning up an old plane if you need more than just a surface cleaning.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

Show us the others as the come along,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A very nice looking plane indeed. Nice to have some family tools. Here is a thread on cleaning up an old plane if you need more than just a surface cleaning.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

Show us the others as the come along,

jtk
    I can't wait to get back in there. Like I said it was a little overwhelming at first with all the stuff he had, but I know there are some good old hand tools in there. I spent countless hours researching how to restore them in all different kinds of conditions. The hardest part about restoring this plane was getting the blade back to a usable condition. I don't have a grind so it took me nearly an hour using 120grit sandpaper to get the bevel flat. Once I did that the rest was pretty straight forward. It's not a perfect restoration because I just feel like it doesn't need to be. It was used and I like the used look. The sole is flat and the blade is sharp. I managed to get .002" shavings and I'm pumped about that. Now I know this is a smoothing plane, so I hope to find an old jack plane to restore. As I find the tools I will post definitely post some before and after pictures. Thanks for all the kind words and wisdom. It's amazing to have a community like SMC.

Mike

I was able to get back into the old shop yesterday. So much to go through, but I was able to find a few items to bring home with me. As requested here are 4 that I found.

image1 (5).jpg
    I really needed a block plane, but I believe I will have to order a new iron for this one. The one currently in it has a good amount of pitting on the bevel and I don't have a grinder to correct this or not sure if this is even fixable. Maybe someone knows a little more information and can enlighten me. I was also hoping for a good jack plane, but I haven't lost hope in finding one in there. I just scratched the surface and once we start to clear it out I am sure I will find more.

Blog Entries
    If only the bevel is pitted a bit of work on some 120 grit sandpaper should get you to some good metal.

If the back is heavily pitted a replacement blade might be necessary.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alu View Post
    I was able to get back into the old shop yesterday. So much to go through, but I was able to find a few items to bring home with me. As requested here are 4 that I found.

image1 (5).jpg
    I really needed a block plane, but I believe I will have to order a new iron for this one. The one currently in it has a good amount of pitting on the bevel and I don't have a grinder to correct this or not sure if this is even fixable. Maybe someone knows a little more information and can enlighten me. I was also hoping for a good jack plane, but I haven't lost hope in finding one in there. I just scratched the surface and once we start to clear it out I am sure I will find more.
    is the second from the left a #2?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    is the second from the left a #2?
    It's a #3.

It's a #3.
    A useful size. I was using my #3 today for a small smoothing task. It's one I picked up at a flea market and refurbished. Earlier posts spoke to irons that were pitted severely. I might suggest picking up new Hock irons and chip breakers for the planes you restore. I took the plunge and have been very pleased with the performance. It sure beat spending hours trying to rejuvenate an iron that had seen many miles of bad road.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The good news is that if there's a plane you have to buy to fill out your arsenal, a jack (#5) is the one you want it to be. A 5 is the most common and easiest plane to find. It's also usually the least expensive. Don't be bashful about asking questions. That's how a lot of us learned how to resurrect these tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    A useful size. I was using my #3 today for a small smoothing task. It's one I picked up at a flea market and refurbished. Earlier posts spoke to irons that were pitted severely. I might suggest picking up new Hock irons and chip breakers for the planes you restore. I took the plunge and have been very pleased with the performance. It sure beat spending hours trying to rejuvenate an iron that had seen many miles of bad road.
    I will most definitely look into these if I feel the irons will take to much work. From previous I have already restored a Millers Falls plane and that iron wasn't pitted but took substantial time to get right. I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    The good news is that if there's a plane you have to buy to fill out your arsenal, a jack (#5) is the one you want it to be. A 5 is the most common and easiest plane to find. It's also usually the least expensive. Don't be bashful about asking questions. That's how a lot of us learned how to resurrect these tools.
    Yeah I was hoping for a #5, but you are right. From what I see it is the most common. I was happy to find a #7 that seems to be in pretty decent shape. I will most definitely be asking questions if I run into any problems though. This time around I think I will detail my restoration a little more and possibly post some updated pictures once I start the process.

Find something in a #5 size (#14 for us MFers) and you have the full compliment. I bet there is one in there somewhere! Looks like two #3s and a #7.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    Find something in a #5 size (#14 for us MFers) and you have the full compliment. I bet there is one in there somewhere! Looks like two #3s and a #7.
    The second from the right, the one without any marks, has Defiance stamped on the iron. From my research this was a more economical plane for the everyday person. I also believe the #7 is dated between 1907-09. I'm having a little trouble dating the #3 though.

Blog Entries
    The second from the right, the one without any marks, has Defiance stamped on the iron. From my research this was a more economical plane for the everyday person. I also believe the #7 is dated between 1907-09. I'm having a little trouble dating the #3 though.
    More pictures would help if you want the planes dated. Disassembled or at least with the blades off would help. The important areas are around the front knob, the frog and behind the frog.

Another thing to remember is parts often get mixed around between planes if someone has more than one of the same size.

jtk