Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 45

Stanley 45

I started a thread on another forum with a somewhat different (though loyal) readership. I thought, "since I respect them well enough to start on there, why not start the same thread here and reach a broader number of people?" So here I am, technically crossposting, asking the same question of a totally different readership....

Ya know, I actually don't start a ton of threads. I mostly reply to threads started by others, but I really want to get to the core of the mystery on this one.

Who actually uses the 45? I have two now, the type 3 with a brazed-in handle and a type 8 I got in a lot on ebay for wayyy too cheeeep.

The newer one I am actually excited about. It is coming at a time when I am realizing that I do NOT need every single plane ever minted by the Millers Falls Company. I am chagrined at my collection, realizing what I've done to get it to where it is. As a result, I am remembering why I began in the first place - to do some woodworking. To make stuff. I can't afford a bazillion woodies either in terms of resto time or cash so the 45 represents a resignation to utility and a little bit of "The Schwarz Anarchism," one tool to do a bunch of work that doesn't show on the face anyway.

So while I am starting my reduction in earnest at an MWTCA meeting, I want to ask you tools guys a pretty simple question that I think doesn't get asked enough: What do you DO with this thing?!?

I use my 45 often. As a plow, beading, rabbet, dados. I have used it as a tongue and grove plane a few times. Never tried any sash making with it. It takes a little getting use to and it isn't the perfect tool for the job sometimes. They one I have now is my second one. I wouldn't not want to have it. I hope Jim K gets better soon, he knows a lot about 45s.
    Jim

Mainly beads, flutes, and plowing. I'd be using it more often if the d-----d house wasn't taking so much of my time. But, even on the house, I've found uses for it; for instance, nothing beats it (well, other than a purpose-made tool) for cutting the drip groove in the bottom of a window sill.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 10-07-2016 at 3:08 PM. Reason: adding words

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Mainly beads, flutes, and plowing. I'd be using it more often if the d-----d house wasn't taking so much of my time. But, even on the house, I've found uses for it; for instance, nothing beats it (well, other than a purpose-made tool) for cutting the drip groove in the bottom of a window sill.
    How do you cut that? I have never done it..!

I recently bought one with all the blades and accessories. I've followed Stanley manual who show what you can do with it.
    http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanle...anes/45man.pdf

I have to say that, for a first time using it, I was really pleased. It's only across the grain that either I have to figure it out properly or it doesn't work very good.

I made a review on my blog but haven't used it yet on a project...it's coming for sure.
    http://ancienscopeaux.ca/en/evaluation-stanley-45-2/

Normand

Nice write-up, Normand! Did you pull the spurs backward first before trying the cross-grain work?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    How do you cut that? I have never done it..!
    First, the purpose of a drip groove. On an old-style wood window, with a windowsill sitting on the rough framing, you need a drip groove so that water can't travel down the face of the sill and up the bottom into the wall - which it can do, thanks to the magic of surface tension. The groove "cuts" the surface tension of the water and gives somewhere for it to drip from. They're a good idea even on modern windows, if your trim detail around the window replicates the old-fashioned windowsill:
    sill102.jpg
    You can see the drip groove (image taken from internet) a fraction of an inch in from the outer face of the sill here.

A lot of people cut them with a table saw set to a shallow cut, and you could do the job with a narrow plow iron; but I prefer the cleaner look of a flute, and it's easier to paint than the sharp edges of a narrow groove.

I have some fluting bits (cut a round hollow, but way smaller than most round planes will cut) purchased from Stanley back when they had them in their parts inventory (alas, gone last I looked). You could get the same effect by grinding the end of a plow bit on a curve - 1/8" or 3/16" ideal for this application. A perfect curve's nice, but not necessary for this purpose (but try to do it right; a small flute can be a great furniture detail, too).

Then you just cut the shallow flute about 1/4" in from the edge, measuring from the edge of the flute closest to the face of the sill.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 10-07-2016 at 6:10 PM. Reason: more thoughts on what I said before

Been using my Type 20 a lot. Mainly for ploughing a groove or two..
    cutting a groove.jpg
    Might give the rest of the "jobs" a tryout in a few weeks...

Nice write-up, Normand! Did you pull the spurs backward first before trying the cross-grain work?
    Yes I did. Since then I've improve a bit. The problem was that the cutter was kind of flush with the spur. Moving the cutter inward helps a lot but its not perfect. There is definitely room to improve this aspect.

Normand

Glen, if you can find ALF's postings on multiplanes, they are quite instructional. She really liked and used them.

I'll look for those. I hated the type 3 since I couldn't adjust the iron well, but the type 8 has the screw adjuster. After cleaning it up with mineral spirits and giving it a shot of WD-40, I'm diggin' it.

As a minor gloat...I got the 45, a very early 78, and a near perfect type 2 #113 on the auction site for $50+shipping. All are marked with the same owner's mark from way back when. I'm really rather floored.

As a minor gloat...I got the 45, a very early 78, and a near perfect type 2 #113 on the auction site for $50+shipping. All are marked with the same owner's mark from way back when. I'm really rather floored.
    I don't think that qualifies as a minor gloat; more significant gloat. Good score!

Blog Entries
    Howdy all,

Just got out of hospital today.

That is a significant gloat on the ebay score Glen. Was it poorly listed or what?

Here is a piece of mine posted a few years ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761

You will have to scroll down to the part on the #45.

There are a lot of good uses for just the plowing and rabbeting. The other blades can help with decorative work and joinery.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It is my go-to for T&G's as well as plowing a groove for drawer bottoms.

have some blades also.