Thread: Entertainment Center

Entertainment Center

This was my first project after downsizing my shop and selling many of my tools including my Unisaw. After 40 years of woodworking with dedicated machines, I never thought I'd become a Festool guy, but am absolutely amazed at what can be done with a tracksaw, MFT3 and Domino in a small space. The cabinets are 12 feet wide and 8 feet tall and are made from maple and maple veneer ply. Doors are frame and panel stile/rail construction and made with a router table. Drawers were made with pre-finished Baltic Birch ply. All wiring for the LED puck lights and bookshelf speakers are concealed in the framework. I needed to match the finish on my kitchen cabinets in an adjacent room and used water borne stain, sealer and 10% sheen topcoats from Renner coatings and used a Fuji MM3 HVLP.

Although I do miss my table saw, I won't buy another after seeing what the tracksaw and MFT3 combination can do. I only wish a tracksaw could plow dadoes.

IMG_0128 1.jpg

IMG_0103 1.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Looks very nice Dick!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice lines with tons of storage. Do you have ventilation for the components?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Very nice lines with tons of storage. Do you have ventilation for the components?
    Thank you, the back of the electronics section is completely open and spaced away from the rear wall a bit. I'm looking at drilling a few large diameter holes above the toekick and putting in a couple of quiet muffin fans. Most of the electronics are on a smart power strip that powers the warmest ones down when the TV is off. The IR repeater and a couple of small boxes do stay on, however the cabinet never feels too warm.
    Dick Mahany.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I think you'll be fine with the wall gap. I never could find a muffin fan that was quiet "enough" when I was modifying an ET center I had several years ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney