Thread: Willow

Blog Entries

Willow

Is willow any good for turning. Have a chance at a lot of it.

Here is an old link to the discussion of willow: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...en-Willow-Wood

Bill,
    I have run into a lot of willow lately ... had never turned it before. I just turned a 10" x 5" bowl today. It had been rough turned and anchorsealed both sides and dried for two months. Finished nicely. Have sold several of these. I can never seem to post photos on here, but you can see several of my willow bowls on facebook at Gary Baker Woodturning ... including some willow burl bowls. You should like this wood.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Brice and Gary.

I have turned a few pieces of Willow, no duplication needed, as there is info and pictures right here on the forum, here is one link

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Willow

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=willow
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-11-2016 at 9:19 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Since little or no mention of sealing grain ends thought I'd best ask.

This thing was nearly 4' in diameter and a lot of it was dry and rotted. I had my freind cut me a few logs long so I could remove the ends if it started cracking. The wood that is green has a deep color with some pieces having a lot of white surrounding a small dark core.
    There's tons of it left, but he planned to burn it. I hope he waits til I can fill up my back yard with logs.
    As for it's location determining smell, it sat on a hillside next to his driveway surounded by lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Since little or no mention of sealing grain ends thought I'd best ask.

This thing was nearly 4' in diameter and a lot of it was dry and rotted. I had my friend cut me a few logs long so I could remove the ends if it started cracking. The wood that is green has a deep color with some pieces having a lot of white surrounding a small dark core.
    There's tons of it left, but he planned to burn it. I hope he waits till I can fill up my back yard with logs.
    As for it's location determining smell, it sat on a hillside next to his driveway surrounded by lawn.
    I don’t know where you are living, but in general at this time of year you don’t need to seal Willow, comes warm weather you better protect it from the sun, even now that’s not a bad idea.

As for smell different woods have different smells, like Cherry or Oak etc. , Willow and Popular and Elm have a less pleasant smell, at least to me, mind you not a real bad smell, just a typical smell that totally disappears when dry
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Red oak smells like silage to me.

Blog Entries
    My freind who took down his willow decided not to burn it but instead pile it up away from the house so I have unlimited access to enough to last me many years. Some of it, especially near the base is dry and rotting but there's still a lot of very thick green limbs. This thing was nearly 4' in diameter. Looks like I'll be turning a lot of weeping willow.