Thread: Morse taper question

Morse taper question

m afraid the spindle on my older delta I bought is so woreinside the taper that the everything I stick in it seems to really sink in pretty far befor grabbing. Today I put some for on the spur center from my tailstock and it made the spur center sink even farther into the spindle. Im not even positive what lathe this is because it seems to be pieced together from a couple lathes but I believe it is a morse 2 taper and thats what ive been sticking in it. Do they even make morse 3 wood lathes?

Admittedly I'm super new to the Vortex , so take any thing I say with a grain of salt but I'm pretty sure they go all the way up to 5 or 6 morse tapers. again though <<<I'm very new at this I would get a second opinion for sure

If you need to, you can get adapters so you can put smaller morse tapers into bigger ones. Try an engineering tooling supplier if your turners supplier doesn't have it. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Ron...Yes, you can buy MT 3 for wood lathes. Here is one of many places to start looking: http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/C...navid=12108334
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Maybe cut a piece of paper and form a cone that fits your lathe. Then check the size against this chart to find the proper morse taper.

http://littlemachineshop.com/reference/tapers.php

Take some pictures of the lathe, good ones close up to the opening on both the headstock spindle and the tailstock spindle. Include a ruler with clear markings for size reference in the pics. Some of the entire lathe would also help, someone might recognize the model of the lathe.

I have a lot of old lathes, I have never seen one where the Morse taper was getting bigger so that the tooling went in farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    m afraid the spindle on my older delta I bought is so woreinside the taper that the everything I stick in it seems to really sink in pretty far befor grabbing. Today I put some for on the spur center from my tailstock and it made the spur center sink even farther into the spindle. Im not even positive what lathe this is because it seems to be pieced together from a couple lathes but I believe it is a morse 2 taper and thats what ive been sticking in it. Do they even make morse 3 wood lathes?
    Ron, yes Oneway uses a #3 MT, but a #3 MT is much bigger than a #2, the opening for a #2 My is .700”, and the #3 is .938”.

You would not be able to stick a #3 MT into a #2 opening.

A MT opening should not wear out just inserting and removing a MT piece, however IF a piece should spin around in there it can gall or make a rough surface, if someone then uses a MT reamer they could take too much metal out and you would then have the pieces go in much deeper, this is why you should always use a draw bar to keep your MT pieces from spinning in the opening.

As long as your tapers don’t spin it does not really matter that they go in deeper, as long as they hold securely.
    Have fun and take care