Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting into RVing???

I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".

Jim,
    If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I traveled the country and windsurfed for 10 years. I was single and slept in a van to keep costs down. I met a lot of windsurfers with small and large RV's.

In Texas we all admired a wealthy guy who had a new top of the line large RV until I got to talk with him. He was missing a lot of good windy days on the water. He told me had to go to the service center 50 miles away from our beach/campground to get his fridge fixed under warranty. Then his AC. Then his water heater.

He was an old farmer and knew a lot about fixing things, but it was under warranty. Just like John said an RV has all a house has or more and it vibrates and bounces around. All the stuff that needs service is in tight spaces.

Here's what I'd try Larry. Do 2 trial runs. Rent an RV for a week and take a trip. Then take a trip in your car and stay in motels. Make detailed notes on costs and hassles vs fun.

See what method offers the most freedom.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Congrats on the retirement and idea on a ballpark tour! I grew up RVing with my family. I'm not familiar with Thor RVs and am getting ahead of your first question but thought I'd chime in anyway. My wife and I bought a 24-foot Forest River (Flagstaff) travel trailer in 2004 when our first son was born and used it regularly until our kids were becoming more involved in sports and school activities. It sat unused and unfortunately we sold it in 2012 but still have many good memories. RV.net was a forum I used often; you should find lots of good information there on how to travel the country. As I recall, at the time, many Wal-Marts would allow you to park at the end of their lot and rest overnight at no cost. Safer than a rest stop and cheaper than a campground. Be sure to ask the manager for permission and obviously no fires, awnings, jacks, or trash. Not sure about slide-outs. And it is a nice gesture to go in and stock up on supplies.

If you live in the city they may not allow you permanently store a motorhome on residential property. Check and if not, factor remote storage into your plans. You don't want to haul cookware, dishes, towels, bedding, bath supplies, etc from your home so plan on buying all of this and more, even a vacuum, to stock and clean the motorhome. Dollar stores and garage sales are good sources if cost is a concern. When I went most people used roof antennas and satellite dishes for TV programming, now you'll probably have options for internet and streaming. You'll meet many great people at campgrounds.

And I seem to recall seeing a forum here awhile back on how to continue woodworking while on the road... maybe something else to keep in mind. Cheers!

All I know of RVing is from reading a blog of an attorney who often writes on financial matters. Do a google search for " robert platt bell rv ". May or may not add to your knowledge but was interesting to me. Regardless, congratulations on your upcoming retirement, you might as well enjoy it and do what you really want to do.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Congratulations on your impending retirement Larry! You worked all your life and earned it. If RV'ing looks like fun and you can afford it, good for you! It sounds like you've done your homework and know what costs come with the hobby/lifestyle. Now go have a ball!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Jim,
    If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!
    Yea, that's a lot better than back when the 'rents had one...but if diesel is available, it's worth at least checking out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Jim,
    I was talking with a guy this morning that owns a gas powered RV. He scoffed at the 8-10 MPG. He said more like 6-7 MPG. V8 Chevy engine in his. I didn't ask the displacement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm a little late to the party chiming in here, but here goes: We are on our 4th RV: 1 travel trailer, 1 gas motorhome and 2 diesel motorhomes. I'll echo the comments about diesel being the way to go. Diesels generally have more weight carrying capacity, more towing capacity, ride better and are quieter in the passenger areas (rear engine). They also typically have engine brakes which make mountain driving safer (IMO) and less of a white-knuckle experience. Diesels generally require less maintenance although it's somewhat more expensive so that's about a wash. None of this is to say a gas motorhome won't get you there, it's just that to me and my wife, the ride is more enjoyable in a diesel coach. New vs. used is debatable, we've done both. There are a lot of good used units on the market at pretty good savings over comparable new units, just sorta gets down to what you want. We tow a Tahoe 4 wheels down. Just my opinion, but that is the way to go. One last thing I tell all my friends that consider buying motorhomes, if you are unable or unwilling to pick up a wrench now and then, you probably have no business owning one. They are complicated vehicles and require a lot more attention that your car or truck.

The 6-7 or 8-10 MPG is usually not pulling so decrease that by a few MPG when towing your car. My buddy with the class A said even with his diesel pusher, when he towed, he would get about 6 MPG. Instead, if he needs a car when he gets to a place, he just rents. Says the cost of gas saved about = cost of the car and Enterprise will even deliver it to the campground.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

One thing a lot of people find when they buy their first RV is that what they thought they needed before buying and using their first RV is totally different from they really need after using their new RV a few times. A lot of people end up buying a second RV shortly after the first one that meets their needs better.

I custom built my own RV, but I put stuff in it that it turns out I never use while I wish I had done other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Patoka View Post
    The 6-7 or 8-10 MPG is usually not pulling so decrease that by a few MPG when towing your car. My buddy with the class A said even with his diesel pusher, when he towed, he would get about 6 MPG. Instead, if he needs a car when he gets to a place, he just rents. Says the cost of gas saved about = cost of the car and Enterprise will even deliver it to the campground.
    I usually tow an 8x20 trailer behind my diesel pusher motor home. It costs me 1 to 1.2 MPG over not towing. I only get 7.4 MPG when not towing. I have never towed a car, but being smaller and lighter than the trailer I would think it would cost less than 1 MPG. Things will be totally different with a gas motor home.

I have a friend who recently got a gas motor home that is about 36 feet. He and I both drove the same 4,000 round trip. I got around 6.3 MPG while he got under 5 MPG. My motor home is 43 feet diesel. I was towing a 20 foot trailer while he had a 12 foot trailer.

Just to put some numbers on things, if you get 6 MPG and drive 300 miles in a day, you'll use 50 gallons of gas. If gas is $3/gallon, that's $150 per driving day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Here is the Thor section of the iRV2 forum: irv2.com/forums/f121/
    My wife and I had some experience early on with RVing. Her folks had a truck camper, mine had a GMC motorhome. We didn't have one of our own. Skip ahead 30 years and I am getting ready to retire. We rented a 32 foot Winnebago for a week, just to make sure we were still ok with it. It went good, so in 2008, just after the last parent passed at 94, we bought a used 2002 32' Winnebago Adventurer (their top gasser) and never looked back. We tow our '84 CJ7 four down (no dolly) and get 6.5 mpg. We spend almost four months a year in our RV, mostly parked, so our needs may be different than yours, although we have put on over 40,000 miles since purchase including an 8,000 trip out west. If I were looking for a smaller RV with easy mobility, I would be looking at a Class B on the diesel Sprinter chassis or even on the slightly larger Ford Transit V-6 chassis (Winnebago has both), and skip plans on towing another vehicle. Towing makes it more difficult choosing gas stations and even getting stuck at the end of a street with no room to turn around as backing up with a toad is a no-no. A Class B allows you to move (carefully) around parking lots you would never consider with a Class A towing a car. And most agree that using a dolly is less advantageous than towing four down, as now you really have three things in your inventory while on the road, an RV, a dolly and a toad. If you want to step up to a full size MH, you really want to get one with slides, as now you really have room while parked.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-18-2016 at 4:11 PM.
    NOW you tell me...