Thread: Leather coating after engraving-?

Leather coating after engraving-?

I just did a leather strap on a suitcase for a customer, that THEIR customer wanted done--

My customer was a bit hesitant even doing this, but it turned out okay- And the reason for the hesitation was what I was told after the fact-

--this is a $900 suitcase... eek..

I just got off the phone with her, and her customer wants to know if there's some sort of coating or other protectant to protect the engraved portion? The strap was glossy, and I guess that was some sort of protective coating.

Personally, I don't think it should need anything; as I explained to her, most leather I engrave is for motorcycle seats, and they never seem to go bad...

As for what would work if anything, I'm clueless, so I'm consulting the group of experts I deal with daily...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I wonder what a clear UV spray would do Kev?
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

I have always used, Home Depot - ZEP Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

On raw veg tan I use Tandy's leather sheen. It should work just fine.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I always use wax--paste floor wax or shoe polish if the color works.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Leather sheen is specifically made for leather Product Description. This top-notch finish provides a water repellent finish for dyed, antiqued or polished leathers. Shines and conditions with a flexible, durable acrylic finish. Use sponge, spray or brush to apply.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

7. Without seeing the piece, a little hard to say, but when we engrave leather, it seems to turn a little stiff (crusty). I think this depends on how deep into the leather you go. Normally we would clean the residue and apply conditioner. This will "relax" the piece and make it soft and supple like you would expect with leather. I think it would be a mistake to leave engraved leather untreated.

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs