Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll buy it tomorrow. Just in case.

I'll buy it tomorrow. Just in case.

I think I'll buy a Harbor Freight 1 ton capacity foldable shop crane tomorrow.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very helpful should one need to assemble a heavy shop machine of some sort!😉

I used mine to help me unload and set up my G0766

Good idea. I really could have used one when I assembled my 0766. My back would have appreciated it, anyway. Assembling it solo with out a lift was do-able but not fun by any means.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I bought a one ton shop crane from HF with the sole purpose of setting up my 766. I was new to the neighborhood and didn't have anyone to help. I had a coupon and got it for $99.00. The best $99.00 I ever spent, even if I never use it again. It was easy to set up the new Griz.

Jay

I have an engine lift as well and use it when lifting a heavy lathe off of my trailer and moving it around in the shop. However I also have a hoyer lift. These are used to lift a person from a bed to a wheel chair or bath. Even though expensive new, they are often found on Craigslist for less than $100. These lifts are smaller than the engine lift and can be maneuvered around the shop easily. I use mine to lift heavy wood onto the lathe as well as other 200 to 400 pound items that need moved or lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Very helpful should one need to assemble a heavy shop machine of some sort!
    Just in case something like that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Good idea. I really could have used one when I assembled my 0766. My back would have appreciated it, anyway. Assembling it solo with out a lift was do-able but not fun by any means.
    That would be handy. I made good use of a floor jack when assembling my PM 3520b. Where possible I use the tractor, handy when moving and setting up the big bandsaw, milling machine, and metal lathe. But a neighbor had a shop crane AND an overhead electric hoist on an i-beam running across his shop - he could handle almost anything (he mostly used these for car/truck engines). I love to have those in my shop!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That would be handy. I made good use of a floor jack when assembling my PM 3520b. Where possible I use the tractor, handy when moving and setting up the big bandsaw, milling machine, and metal lathe. But a neighbor had a shop crane AND an overhead electric hoist on an i-beam running across his shop - he could handle almost anything (he mostly used these for car/truck engines). I love to have those in my shop!
    JKJ
    John, have you considered attaching a yoke to your alpacas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    John, have you considered attaching a yoke to your alpacas?
    For some reason alpacas are notoriously anti-yoke. A llama, maybe. I know three friends all named Susan who drive carts pulled by llamas.

JKJ

look at the 2 ton just in case for future use if there is not much price difference now. once you have one you will find uses for it, like lifting the mower to change blades. lifting heavy things in and out of the truck like future turning materials.

I would second the 2 ton. It is very little extra money, and you can lift more weight with the arm fully extended. A 2 ton crane can lift 1000lbs at the end of the arm, and 2 tons on the hole closest to the fulcrum. The 1 ton will lift 500 lbs with the arm fully extended. Take a look at the manual on the web page. The low price cycle for the 2 ton was $189. I bought one at that price a couple of month ago to move some things around when I painted the wall.

Good luck,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For some reason alpacas are notoriously anti-yoke. A llama, maybe. I know three friends all named Susan who drive carts pulled by llamas.
    JKJ
    That is so random that their names are all "Susan". Is there a "Susan's Llama Carts franchise in Southern California?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    I would second the 2 ton. It is very little extra money, and you can lift more weight with the arm fully extended. A 2 ton crane can lift 1000lbs at the end of the arm, and 2 tons on the hole closest to the fulcrum. The 1 ton will lift 500 lbs with the arm fully extended. Take a look at the manual on the web page. The low price cycle for the 2 ton was $189. I bought one at that price a couple of month ago to move some things around when I painted the wall.
    Good luck,
    Michael
    Good to know. I have to figure out if I can fit it in my car now. Or I could hire out one of "Susan's Llama Carts".

Got the 2-ton model. Thanks for the advice. The boxes fit easily in the sedan and it was on sale for $169.