Thread: Got my first PM-V11 blade today

Got my first PM-V11 blade today

Due to inspiration from this forum I started acquiring and restoring vintage hand planes several months ago and am now learning how to use them. My most recent find was a sweetheart era Stanley 4 1/2. I bought it on the big auction site and was disappointed to later find that the blade was cupped, the bevel is convex as it touches the workpiece. I worked and worked on it but just couldn't get the back flat. I want to use this as a smoother so I decided to look for a replacement blade and settled on the Veritas PM-V11. It arrived today, I gave it a quick final honing and put it to work on walnut. Here are my first impressions of the PM-V11:

1. It is much shorter than the original blade. In fact, it's shorter than all of the original (and used) Stanley blades in my collection. I understand this won't affect the performance but it was immediately noticeable. Hopefully the added durability of this blade will give me about the same service life as a longer standard blade.
    2. The color is quite different than the original steel and iron.
    3. It takes very nice shavings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. I havent tried one yet. Will one day, just to see.
    Thanks for the post!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's a good reason to buy a replacement blade. I hesitate to buy a new one for a plane that has a perfectly serviceable vintage blade.

One of these days I'll do the same. I don't have any planes missing blades, so I'll have to choose one on it's merits. I have planes from 1 through 8, so no easy way out. I'm thinking that a smoother will be a better test than a Jack or jointer. Besides, the smoothers are the planes I use the most. But which smoother? 1, 2, 3, 4 or 4-1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Christ View Post
    1. The color is quite different than the original steel and iron.
    That's because PM-V11 is stainless, which implies a Chromium content of 15+ percent. If it's the specific alloy I suspect then the nominal Cr content is 16.0% per its manufacturer. If it weren't powdered-metal it would have huge grain structure and be very chip-prone, slightly worse in both respects than D2. Fortunately it is PM, and IMO it's vastly less "chunky" than D2 and quite a bit better than A2.

The original iron is basically iron, ~0.8% carbon, and some trace alloyants at <0.4% each.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-14-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Ok, so no pmv11 blades for the #1. Interestingly, they are all 7" long, so there should be more sharpenable length from the narrower widths. I like the #2 size, but I probably put more time on the #3. Otoh, if I get the #4 size I can use it also on the #5. then again, the #4-1/2 size could also be used on the #5-1/2 (well, not my 5-1/2 as it's the early narrower one), #6, or #7. That would definitely be the most versatile, but mostly out of range for smoothing. Another factor is thickness. The PMv11 blades are a bit thicker, so the plane may need a bit of fettling to get it in there. I don't think that any of my planes have really tight mouths, so that might not come into play at all. Another thing is that they cost $50, kind of a lot for a plane that alreadt has a perfectly good blade....

Did you have to file the mouth of the plane to get the blade to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Did you have to file the mouth of the plane to get the blade to fit?
    No, and I didn't need to move the frog either.