Thread: sedmented #6

sedmented #6

Building on a previous piece, a design change. Bubinga and Hard Maple. 11 x 4 1/4" in size Let's hear what you think. Poly finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C&C WELCOME

Allan, I like this a lot. The segmentation and wood choices are very tastefully done. Segmented turnings nearly always have the "How do they do that" impressive nature. This is good art, good form. Congratulations.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Nicely done Allan. I did something like that a few years back and took it to work and one of the ladies asked me what kind of mold did I use to make it ... Hard to explain to some one who has a fixed idea about things , how precise and careful one has to be to achieve what you have with this piece !
    John 3:16

Your input is appreciated. Generally many looks and few comments.
    C&C WELCOME

I personally like segmented turning and yours is what I like, unfortunately or turning club frowns on ST'g.

Well executed. Just my opinion, but I might like it better if the (red line) were higher up the form (to the yellow line). There's something about having the light/dark separation line right at the largest part of the curve that I'm not sure about.
    hollow form.jpg

Robert, thanks for the thoughts. Makes me wounder just how rewarding it is to be in a turning club that "frowns" on types of turnings that may not fit their norms. I have one turning club that meets about 140 miles from here. I am not a member. I do whatever suits me and that I may sell, whether flat or turned. Segmented turnings have their own challenges and I like challenges and variety. Glad that you like it. Follow your own interests. Happy turning to you. Allan

Pat, I have noted the same thing as you have. The flattened form does not leave a lot of lee way for design changes at the upper portion. Perhaps another of this form will have the feature ring at the mid line. And thank you to for your frank and honest thoughts. Allan
    C&C WELCOME