Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladestop for bandsaw

Bladestop for bandsaw

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That's great. I imagine a bandsaw can be dangerous in the meat industry. The workers are pushed to work fast which leads to accidents.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's great. I imagine a bandsaw can be dangerous in the meat industry. The workers are pushed to work fast which leads to accidents.

Mike
    If you watch the video of the guys breakling down (I think it was lamb) it is CRAZY. Dunno how they keep their fingers long term.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hey that's great news no more finger tips in hamburger meat and sausage.
    Hope it doesn't change the flavor profile too much.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hey that's great news no more finger tips in hamburger meat and sausage.
    Hope it doesn't change the flavor profile too much.

Aj
    Now I will slumber with visions of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" in my head. Poor, poor Jurgis.

I wonder if they've licensed the Sawstop technology. Back when Sawstop first appeared on the scene, they said they were starting with the tablesaw, but they were soon going to do bandsaws. The whole tablesaw thing turned out to be a much bigger nut to crack than they anticipated, and they've never brought out a bandsaw. Perhaps they decided to tackle that market with licensing.

Don't see how the Sawstop flesh sensing technology would work on a meat bandsaw that's basically cutting flesh and bone. They don't explain what the method is. The glovestop seems to be a camera that recognizes the blue glove too close to the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I wonder if they've licensed the Sawstop technology. Back when Sawstop first appeared on the scene, they said they were starting with the tablesaw, but they were soon going to do bandsaws. The whole tablesaw thing turned out to be a much bigger nut to crack than they anticipated, and they've never brought out a bandsaw. Perhaps they decided to tackle that market with licensing.
    There was a demo model long time ago but I don't know if it ever got anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3PLwNccpXU

I agree with Van, how they can keep all their fingers or hands long term without such a protection given the way they work. It's crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Don't see how the Sawstop flesh sensing technology would work on a meat bandsaw that's basically cutting flesh and bone. They don't explain what the method is. The glovestop seems to be a camera that recognizes the blue glove too close to the blade.
    The Glove Check tech seems straight forward but I don't get the flesh sensing procedure either on a meat saw, unless the capacitance of living human flesh is different enough from the dead flesh to differentiate between them. In any case it seems like an easy transition to wood saws. I would am quit interested in seeing the "inside" of the bandsaw. I wonder of they are using spoked aluminum wheels to reduce mass the amount of energy stored in cast iron BS wheels would be huge compared to the weight of a 10" TS blade.

It is indeed possible this is Sawstop tech but in any event I am not sure how much market penetration SS could get in the wood BS market far more people spend "big" money on a TS than a BS and there aren't too many used in industry any more. I have a feeling the price jump is even bigger to incorporate it into a BS but certainly could be absorbed in the production level meat cutting industry like in the video. A company could probably break even in a short period of time via depreciation and reduced Worker's Comp premiums. Watching the speed of those guys work accidents HAVE to be common, I know they develop muscle memory and a 6th sense of where the blade is but 40 hours a week doing that is NUTS.

The Glove Check is obviously some optical system that looks for "blue". You can see the blade stop before even contacting the person's finger.

I don't get the flesh sensing, though. In the video, they appeared to put a hot dog in a clear glove, and somehow it sensed contact with that? I couldn't tell if the operator had his hand touching the hot dog (under the glove), though. I guess it's reasonable to assume that the workers will always have gloves on, so they are electrically separated from the meat (until an accident occurs). They needn't necessarily have a capacitive sensor - perhaps the worker puts on an ankle strap that electrically connects them and a circuit senses current flow to that.

Seems like a blade-clamping brake would work if you could also quickly de-tension the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

Seems like a blade-clamping brake would work if you could also quickly de-tension the blade.
    Another approach would be to have a brake on the drive wheel and a clutch on the drive shaft along with a switch to cut power to the motor.

Very cool. Wish SawStop would have put into production their version. I would LOVE something like a 20" SawStop bandsaw.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If you watch the video of the guys breakling down (I think it was lamb) it is CRAZY. Dunno how they keep their fingers long term.
    Have you seen this video of a guy cutting shingles/shake? I don't know how he keeps his fingers (and other parts) short term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

[QUOTE=Van Huskey;2613969]I would am quit interested in seeing the "inside" of the bandsaw.

Not sure I'd want to inspect the inside of it too closely - I certainly wouldn't want to have to clean the inside of one of those bandsaws... On the other hand, dust collection doesn't appear to be much of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmid View Post
    Have you seen this video of a guy cutting shingles/shake? I don't know how he keeps his fingers (and other parts) short term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

^literally the face I made when I watched that.