Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help IDing a Handplane?

Help IDing a Handplane?

I picked an old No 5 that appears to be an Bailey type 6 body but the lateral adjuster has the twist at the end that was used on planes made by Bailey/Stanley for Keen Kutter, Winchester etc. instead of the inset piece The plane is beautiful with rosewood knob and handle but the lever cap and cap iron are unmarked, The iron has the hole at the top instead of nearer to the cutting edge and is only imprinted with “NY Guarantee Warranted to Please or Money Back”. Any ideas who these planes were made for? Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    Union Mfg. Co. and Ohio tool company also used the twisted metal for their lateral adjusters. Union used mahogany for their totes and knobs. I am not sure what hardware the others used, Stanley used 12-20 threads on their tote bolts and frog screws.

A picture would help if you can post one. The various frogs of the time are a little different between makers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ohio Tool Co. of Auburn NY? Made for a hardware store, so there would be no " No. 0-5" cast on the back porch.

Thanks Jim and Steven. The No. 5 is on the toe. I will try to get some pic tomorrow.

I found the exact plane on a web site, but the one in this ad is a corrugated version mine is a flat bottom. http://www.patented-antiques.com/Bac...ohio-union.htm The plane in question is the last one on the list. There are some pics that represent mine exactly. If you need more pic, let me know and I will take a few more and post them. Thanks

To identify the maker details of the lateral, frog and frog receiver would help.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Hi Don, I assume you saw the pics from the link and if so I will take some more showing detail of the lateral, frog and frog receiver and post today. Thanks

Union No.5 after Stanley buyout...

I am sorry Steven, what happened? Stanley bought Union and started mixing Union and Stanley parts? Does one consider this a Union or a Stanley or a "frankenplane". Can you explain or send me to a link of the history? Thanks
    Mark

It's always nice to know, but don't put a lot of worry into identifying the brand. What's more important is that you seem to have a good tool in good shape. Sharpen it up and make stuff.

Thanks for the link Don. Does one consider this a Stanley or a Union. What are the elements in the pictures that pointed Steven to Union-Stanley? Other than the lateral adjuster. Did Stanley start mixing parts from both companies or are all the parts here Union but distributed by Stanley? Sorry for all the questions.
    Mark

I know Bill, curiosity curiosity and fun to investigate

Union was so good, that Stanley just had to buy them out...around 1920. Then proceeded to use up all of Union's parts before closing the place down. When Stanley needed parts to complete a run of planes, they used what was available.