Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cermark on Brass and Stainless

1. Cermark on Brass and Stainless

Can anyone speak to the durability of Cermark on brass and on stainless steel? The items will be handled often, think "pen" or other frequently used household item. And which formula is your answer based on, i.e., I've heard that LM6000 is not necessarily the best for brass even though it's been listed elsewhere as a suitable formula for brass.

Thanks! -Brett

I haven't done brass,

but Cermark LM6000 when etched properly can not be removed from stainless without aggressive sanding.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I engraved some brass maybe 1-2 years ago with cermark and stuck it outside my house to see how long it'd last outdoors, apart from a bit of tarnishing the engraving has held up really good. No idea how long it would last on something handled constantly though.
    Speedy 300 flexx - 80w co2 / 20w fiber

NASA has tested it in space, I'd say it's pretty durable. http://lasermarkingmaterials.blogspo...rigors-of.html
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    NASA has tested it in space, I'd say it's pretty durable. http://lasermarkingmaterials.blogspo...rigors-of.html
    Now that's the kind of testimonial I was hoping for!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Seann Fordham View Post
    I engraved some brass maybe 1-2 years ago with cermark and stuck it outside my house to see how long it'd last outdoors, apart from a bit of tarnishing the engraving has held up really good. No idea how long it would last on something handled constantly though.
    Seann, did you use the LMM6000 or LMM14 formula?

I now only use LMM-6038. It works great on shinny metals like chrome and much more reliable on SS. I dilute it in a small jar and use a foam brush. I would never consider using LMM-6000 on Brass. It's hit or miss as the best you can expect.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 10-17-2016 at 8:47 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Pretty sure it was LMM6000, the settings I used were half of that of stainless steel and 600dpi if I remembered correctly.

Sean, I see you have a Fiber. That works great for Marking brass without Cermark. Slower than Cermark, but a good mark. On SS the Fiber mark is better, but too slow to make any money.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

The only brass I've Cermarked are cowbells from Norway, the brass they use is mostly from reclaimed ammo casings. My 40w Synrad laser will NOT 'reliably' mark these bells. Still, I did a lot of bells with this machine over the years, but added 2 coats of clear enamel. This works, and makes the mark look like paint. However, my 80w glass laser WILL 'somewhat reliably' mark these bells, but while an SS mark basically must be sanded or ground off, wire brushing can remove SOME of the mark off these bells. But in the absence of abrasion it's a fairly good mark...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I now only use LMM-6038. It works great on shinny metals like chrome and much more reliable on SS. I dilute it in a small jar and use a foam brush. I would never consider using LMM-6000 on Brass. It's hit or miss as the best you can expect.
    Funny, Thermark recommends NOT using 6038, and really seems to be pushing the 14:
    In general, however, TherMark recommends LMM14 for all the substrates on which LMM6038 works, so it is not a recommended product. LMM6038’s process window is quite narrow and it is a challenging product to use. If you are an existing user and do not wish to upgrade to LMM14, you may still purchase LMM6038.
    -- So, does the 6038 have about the same mix ratio as the 6000 (which gets worse with each bottle)?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ...Funny, Thermark recommends NOT using 6038, and really seems to be pushing the 14...
    Hmmm I wonder why. To-date the 6038 has performed many times better and more reliable than 6000. When I run low, I may try the LMM14. The bottle of 6038 that I have is about like pancake batter. I dilute it about 1:3 - Cermark:denatured alcohol. Seems to be very forgiving regardless how thick or thin it's applied. I initially diluted using water, but it took too long to dry.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 10-17-2016 at 1:12 PM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Sean, I see you have a Fiber. That works great for Marking brass without Cermark. Slower than Cermark, but a good mark. On SS the Fiber mark is better, but too slow to make any money.
    This was done on our old Universal before we had a fiber, also we engrave lots of jewellery, knives, giftware, lots of our own items that we sell here at the shop, so most items are set up easily and engraved in seconds. Our bulk work is mostly done on the c02 (lots of glass, signage, etc).

Only thing we use our Vision engraver for now days is outdoor brass plaques that we engrave with roughly 0.5mm depth.

I've used LMM 6000 on brass memorial tags for about a year now. These tags came with a clear gloss coat which I've had to sand down to bare metal to be able to get a mark. The mark on these brass tags is dark and permanent. As far as durability, once when I had to redo a tag, I had to orbital sand in order to remove the mark completely, and even then there was a shadow leftover. I then had to go over and sand with a super fine grit to completely erase. As far as I can tell, the LMM 6000 holds up well in my experience. I haven't tried the other formulas mentioned here.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

80 watts should fuse Cermark to brass nicely

Instead of sanding the brass first, have you tried letting the laser remove the clearcoat? Just engrave the coating with your text/graphics first, then apply cermark and engrave the black. Quicker than sanding, and the rest of the brass is still coated.

I've had good luck with doing this, although test first to make sure the laser can get all the clear off
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I recently ran out of Lmm-6000 and I never really had great results with it. I had good results but NOT what I consider great. I decided to try the LMM-6060 so I bought the smallest size they had and talk about an INSTANT increase in results. I did a power test to verify my settings and then etched 150 RTIC cups with it for a local law firm and they are far better than I ever got with the LMM-6000. I have since ordered the larger container and will never look back.

Another bonus is the color is a darker green and is easier to tell when you get a nice even coat with the airbrush. I thin 2 parts DA to 1 part CM
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W, with Rotary Attachment
    Corel X8