Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

17 Oct 2016

Good morning everyone,
    It's been a crazy past week for me. I finally got all the work done and the install finished at our local bowling alley. I have learned that I'm not as fast as I used to be and all work takes 3 times longer than fist thought.

Spent some time with the family yesterday, watched a movie with the LOML and tried to sleep as much as I could as I started oncall this morning.

Pics for proof:
    bowlingalley1.jpg

bowlingalley2.jpg

bowlingalley3.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi, I moved my TV antenna and drove to Virginia to work this week.

Wow, what fantastic weather down here............Rod.

Put the new deck on the South porch and got the purlins on for the new tin roof. Today is shot with Monday stuff then tomorrow I'll get the tin installed.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

More progress on the bath mini-renovation...plumber got out on Friday and by the end of Saturday (after a bunch of errands) the green board was up and ready for taping and mud. First coat went up on Sunday, so more mundane things like mowing the lawn came into play before cooking a delicious salmon dinner for the family and completing the FAFSAA application for my younger daughter who (gasp...time flies...) heads off to college next fall. I'm taking a long weekend at the end of this week and home to get all the wall work done in the bath project as well as get the final coat of paint on the upper hutch portion of my buffet/hutch project in between tasks with the renovation.

Photo of the new shower post green board installation...and yes, the shower is level. It's the floor that's out of whack.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My floor would probably be just as bad or worse...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

It's out about 3/4" across the 48" width of the new shower and about 3/8 front to back on the left side facing it...that made for some interesting shimming that required using "real tools" to create multiple strips of exact thickness to sit under the "feet" molded into the shower base.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It was a safety setup weekend:

-Installed the riving knife on my combo table saw. I'm pretty jazzed about this, haven't had a saw with a riving knife. I've used them in classes, but not at home.
    -Installed the protective cover on the jointer (euro style guard not a pork chop).
    -New bearings on the bandsaw guides and tuned it up.

Not a lot of accomplishment, but feels good to be closer to safe.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Blog Entries
    Built some lumber racks.

Jared, that looks great. Screwed into 2x4 studs?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Conerly View Post
    Jared, that looks great. Screwed into 2x4 studs?
    Yes, I used 6" spax lag bolts to attach them to the studs (I love my impact wrench for situations like this)

I ordered 17 sheets of 4x8 rough sawn doug fir plywood to use as the base of my simulated board and batten siding in my office shed project, and it just arrived about an hour ago.
    The plan had been to go with a 105 style dutch lap cedar siding, but the ply was about 25% of the cost of the cedar.

The pre-primed trim and the door are installed and ready for paint, which I bought yesterday because it was on sale for 40% off at Sherwin-Williams.
    I'm going with blue for the trim and door (SW 6804 Dignity Blue, very Tardis-y to my eye), and a dark brown/red semi-transparent stain (SW 3507 Riverwood) for the board and batten. The stain may not look good with the paint, but we'll see.

Here's how it sits now:
    FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm still mulling over whether I want to put a little roof over the door or not...
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Yes, I used 6" spax lag bolts to attach them to the studs (I love my impact wrench for situations like this)
    That's the very thing I need to do to get the wood off of my concrete floor--thanks for passing along the idea! Are the holes for the conduit/pipes angled at all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    That's the very thing I need to do to get the wood off of my concrete floor--thanks for passing along the idea! Are the holes for the conduit/pipes angled at all?
    Yes, just enough for a slight angle up after accounting for the loose conduit fit.

I just used a 1/2" scrap as a spacer to set the angle.