Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for a new chainsaw -- UPDATE

Started with Sears

I started with a Sears electric (used) given to me for free. That lasted for a couple months. Then I bought a reconditioned Poulan 295 Pro. What a world of difference, I was ecstatic to say the least. Tuned it up, used a Pro chain (no kickback preventing links) and used an ounce of popular gas additive in the mix as suggested by another woodturner. Man I was happy! That lasted for a couple of years. Well... the saw kicked the bucket in a very spectacular nonviolent manner. I was cutting up a large live oak crotch, the chain popped off, the front cover popped off and the chainbreak handle "fell" off (yes, it literally split at the joint without prompting or any force). So I was happy that it performed well, but its life had ended, and I'd wanted to upgrade for sometime anyway regardless of my Poulan induced bliss. I looked at Husky, I looked at Echo, I even thought about buying another Poulan. But with all the glowing reviews and sound track record, I bought a Stihl MS 361. Yep, it cost a bundle. I don't plan on replacing it. Oh, and that live oak crotch... I've had more trouble cutting butter with a butter knife than cutting that oak with the new Stihl.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

I have a Shindaiwa with a 24" bar. Out cuts any saw that I have been using it alongside. That said I recently picked up an 18" Stihl and also think it is a great saw. I use the Shindaiwa for felling and cutting the larger sections of the tree, the Stihl is reserved for limbing out the small stuff. Makes it so I am less tired at the end of the day.

-Alden

Have a 20-year old Stihl that I've beat the whatever out-of....... ~50 LARGE trees over the years. Changed the plug once, sharpened lots of chains. Parts...... I don't know - hasn't needed any.

Stihl prices are pretty much the same everywhere. They control it sort of like Festool. The difference is that a better dealer may throw in an extra chain or something.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

New Chain Saw

Bought a Homelite XL-20. It lasted almost a year. I threw away the pieces as it fell apart. I then received a Huskvarna 24". It lasted less than 12 hours. The factory did a rebuild after the saw was out of warranty, as I did not use for 2 years after receiving it, so I can't complain about their support. It stopped again, so I bought a Stihl MS 440. It stops for nothing and starts easily. After that, IMO the least expensive solution is a Stihl.

Andy:

I've got an almost 20yr old Stihl 028 that starts on the 2nd pull everytime and still has the original chain bar. I've cleared out many a lot with it. I also have a small Echo for trimming. The Echo is ok but not as well made as a Stihl product. Pay a little more and you will enjoy it for many years. One point; always drain the fuel and run the carb dry before you store it for any length of time so you don't gum up the carb. I had to rebuild mine before I learned that the hard way. Also, the older Stihl's were hard starting when using a rich fuel mix, run a 50:1 mix using Stihl oil.

Update

To put some closure on this thread I figured I'd better post a photo to prove that I actually listened to you guys.

Turns out that I never got around to checking them out the next day as I said I would because that night our ice box suffered a catastrophic core melt down (pun intended) and the replacement of that obviously had priority.

So here 'tis. Not the exact one I wanted (MS 290 - the ice box influenced the budget) but it'll be just fine for what I need. It's Stihl's MS 250 and just got it home. Haven't even fired it up yet; but sure am looking forward to the combined smell of gasoline exhaust, chain oil, and wood - especially in the morning (thank you Robert Duval).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only the Blue Roads

Andy...
    For years, my dad bought what was on the shelf at the local hardware or rent all store. It was the flavor of the month. McColoch (sp), Homelighte, Stihl Farmboss, etc.

The Stihl Farmboss is all metal and very light in the horse power department. IT bogs down with ease. When I decided to buy a new saw, I decided to ask the guys who live by these. I called up the Rocky Mountain Hot Shots and ask them what they are currently carrying. They said they carry the most powerful yet portable saw available that has the reliability they need to fight wild land fires. The Stihl MS 460 Magnum with compression release.

This saw has a magnesium crank case as do all magnums in place of a plastic crankcase. Also, the filter is different. It is more like your car filter in that it uses a cartridge style filter that restricts more junk with greater flow. It kicks like a mule if you dont pop open the compresion release knob to start it up.

If this saw can meet the rigors of the hot shots, it clearly can meet most of your needs in a portable chain saw.

This saw is a pure joy to use. It will muscle through virtually any log cutting exercise with ease. There are larger saws but these are no longer very portable. if you plan on using a chain saw to cut boards, you will need a 60, 70 or 80 series saw. The 080 is the largest one they make and its a pig.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Stihl or Husqavuarna. I have a Stihl .029 Farm Boss with an 18" bar ('gonna put a 20" on it when I use up the chains I have) and couldn't be happier. Starts like a dream and cuts and cuts. The "consumer" grade saw I started out with lasted about one and a half small trees...so it actually cost me a lot more than the sticker price. 'Shoulda' bought the Stihl first...
    I have the same saw, after consulting several of my forestry buddies before I purchased it.

Another vote for the Stihl Farm Boss.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

That's the exact one I have and it has done well for me.

Stefan