Thread: Vector Glass??

Vector Glass??

While looking through several threads regarding engraving ceramic tile, I found a thread from July 2009 that briefly mentioned a product that was referred to as "Vector Glass". Apparently this product was being sold by the same company that sells "Laser Tile", however, when I checked their website I found nothing about "Vector Glass".

What happened to "Vector Glass", is it still being sold or is it no longer available?

What benefits are you looking for, that you wouldn't get from ordinary glass?
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

I have vectored ordinary glass (by accident - hadn't noticed that there were hairlines in the customer's artwork).

It did work, but I threw away the glass IMMEDIATELY! Who knows what stresses the heat would have induced - I was worried that the glass might explode and send bits everywhere.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I don't think a C02 laser can induce heat-stress that would cause problems after lasering. WHILE lasering, yeah, been there done that! I engraved some minature glass stair treads right after I got the Triumph, they were like 3" x 1.5" x an inch thick. Normal lasering looked okay but was hard to see because of the inconsistency of the glass (home-done in molds).. So I cranked up the power and found that 80 watts can melt glass on the fly- That engraving really popped!

So of course I experimented on some mirror tile, and an goblet-- The mirror just kept popping and breaking the more I kept going. The goblet I did just flat (no rotary) but before I got thru with one line it cracked, and kind of imploded. Neither of them EXpoded at all, they both just simply broke...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well, it was just paranoia, but having seen glass explode from heat stress, I wasn't going to take any chances!
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

I have vectored leaded glass before, just enough to score it for a teacher at our center, for more intricate or round cuts. She then broke it along the score lines.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marquez View Post
    What benefits are you looking for, that you wouldn't get from ordinary glass?
    It's like working with mirror: glass tiles with a coating on the back that you raster off and (optionally) back-fill with paint or whatever. I bought one of their sample packs years ago and was seriously underwhelmed by the effect, especially given the prices they wanted for the stuff.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Lueck View Post
    What happened to "Vector Glass", is it still being sold or is it no longer available?
    Still available, somewhat to my surprise: http://lasertile.com/laser-glass/
    [EDIT]Or not. That page still exists on their website, but it's a dead-end, no way that I can find to actually buy the stuff. You might try calling them, but as I recall, this company has rather chaotic inventory practices.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 10-23-2016 at 1:56 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks to everyone for their input/feedback.