Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think you can get thin shavings? Think Again!!

Think you can get thin shavings? Think Again!!

I've seen a number of your videos. I find them interesting, but I am really put off by the bragadocious/hyperbolic/click-baity/all-that titles. Reminds me of a certain arrogant self styled "Japanese" woodworker popular on youtube.

I think more humble presentation will get you a better reception with people who actually know and appreciate woodworking.

But then, what do I know? Maybe your approach is more popular / profitable at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 10-19-2016 at 12:38 PM.

That's Incredible! Thanks for the posting

After watching the video, I think the title is appropriate though it may not be the taste of some others. The title in this case tells people what to expect: thin, very thin, shavings.

Simon

Thanks for the post Robert.
    (I had no problem with the title.)
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Robert,

Wow! For what it's worth, in ROUGH numbers, 8 microns is 0.32 mils (or 0.00032"), 6 microns is roughly 0.24 mils (or 0.00024.")

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-19-2016 at 9:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I've seen a number of your videos. I find them interesting, but I am really put off by the bragadocious/hyperbolic/click-baity/all-that titles. Reminds me of a certain arrogant self styled "Japanese" woodworker popular on youtube.
    The guy in the first part of the video earned it in this case - 6 um is remarkable. With that said it's probably not the most effective way to promote a video for the reason you state.

1/2 mil (12.7 microns) isn't terribly hard to achieve, but incremental gains become increasingly hard to come by as you try to go lower, so getting down to half of that is really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The guy in the first part of the video earned it in this case - 6 um is remarkable. With that said it's probably not the most effective way to promote a video for the reason you state.

1/2 mil (12.7 microns) isn't terribly hard to achieve, but incremental gains become increasingly hard to come by as you try to go lower, so getting down to half of that is really impressive.
    Well, maybe I was a bit overly blunt. I do really appreciate the video, and intend it as constructive criticism / helpful advice! Not that anything qualifies me to give such advice

I've never really looked into kezurokai and taking really thin shavings before though, so I'll take your word for it!

Blog Entries
    As one who enjoys the challenge of a thin shaving it was impressive to me.

The title was what got me to look.

My best shaving with an LN #62 was ~0.0004" if my memory is serving.

The wood used in the Japanese plane videos looks to have a better cell structure than the big box fir in my shop. Could that make much of a difference?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The wood definitely makes a difference Jim, it has to be tightly grained and good Alaskan yellow cedar is incredibly tightly grained.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nicely done, but how practical is shaving such a thin shaving to the average woodworker?
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Very nicely done, but how practical is shaving such a thin shaving to the average woodworker?
    In most applications it is not practical. Useless for a scrub plane or trying to remove a 1/16" or so of stock to dimension a piece.

For a few final smoothing passes, it can eliminate tear out and leave a mirror like finish.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    IMO it's impractical if you actually want to produce anything besides shavings (like, say, furniture). Sometimes you have to use thin shavings (<=1 mil) in final smoothing to avoid tearout, but for me that's the exception rather than the rule.

At some point the search for a thinner shaving must become academic. Imagine, if you will, a plane that takes off 1/16" of an inch and leaves a surface that is ready to be finished. Wouldn't that become the last plane every piece of wood sees?

Sure, thin shavings are impressive and fun to see but I am more concerned with the surface that is left behind.

Clark