Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit the Bullet and bought a Jess-EM

Bit the Bullet and bought a Jess-EM

Well after having dealt with an el-cheapo router lift for the last two years. I stepped up and bought a Jess-em Router Lift II. I hope it`s as nice as everyone says, it certainly can`t be worse than the el-cheapo thats on there now lol. I believe it`s a "router Raizer" I think and it`s a PIA.

Can`t wait till tuesday and it gets here! Looking forward to being able to accurately do all the things I have to measure twice and rout once for now. And hope it`s right.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I don't have a JessEm router lift but everything else I have from them is top notch. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I bought one about 6 months ago. It's the bee's knees! enjoy!

I have two of the JessEm Rout-R-Lift FX lifts which are the older models. They are very nice, run smooth, sit flat, adjust easily and I have been pleased with them. It looks like they made some refinements on the newer models like you purchased so I am sure you'll be happy with it.
    - Mike

Does a good lift like a Jessem offer any particular advantage over using a router like a Triton that can be depth adjusted above the table? Accuracy? Repeatability? Anyone actually used both, or moved from a Triton to a lift-based system?
    Mark McFarlane

I have a Triton and was wondering the same thing. A built in router lift like the Triton offers does everything I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Does a good lift like a Jessem offer any particular advantage over using a router like a Triton that can be depth adjusted above the table? Accuracy? Repeatability? Anyone actually used both, or moved from a Triton to a lift-based system?
    I went from Triton to the JessEm lift. There are a few advantages. The lift does not have to be locked. There is a scale on the top surface of the table for precise, repeatable adjustments. The router is locked securely in place with a cam lever lock and can be quickly/easily removed, if needed. There is no slop, at all, in the mechanism. There is no need to reach under the table for any reason unless changing speeds. The hole for the adjustment is at the front edge of the plate; the hole for the Triton is behind the fence if mounted so that the controls are easily accessed from the front. The auto-locking spindle and one wrench blade changing system was great on the Triton but it still required fumbling with the power switch lockout which was a pain. The lift is just faster and more precise with less to fiddle with.

I wrote about it in a thread awhile ago...here.
    - Mike

Everything JessEm makes its awesome. I have several of their tools and love them! I have the Incra lift which I believe is the same as the JessEm but has the nicer magnetic metal inserts and the dust port ones which I love! They work great.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    I went from Triton to the JessEm lift. There are a few advantages. The lift does not have to be locked. There is a scale on the top surface of the table for precise, repeatable adjustments. The router is locked securely in place with a cam lever lock and can be quickly/easily removed, if needed. There is no slop, at all, in the mechanism. There is no need to reach under the table for any reason unless changing speeds. The hole for the adjustment is at the front edge of the plate; the hole for the Triton is behind the fence if mounted so that the controls are easily accessed from the front. The auto-locking spindle and one wrench blade changing system was great on the Triton but it still required fumbling with the power switch lockout which was a pain. The lift is just faster and more precise with less to fiddle with.

I wrote about it in a thread awhile ago...here.
    Thanks Michael. Needing to move the fence to change heights, or put the switch to the backside where its hard to access for lockout/bit changes, was good to learn.

I need a temporary solution to whack out maybe a dozen flat panel doors before the shaper arrives (6 months kind of temporary). Jessem's Router Lift is much cheaper than the Master Lift, I am anxious to hear Dok's feedback.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Everything JessEm makes its awesome. I have several of their tools and love them! I have the Incra lift which I believe is the same as the JessEm but has the nicer magnetic metal inserts and the dust port ones which I love! They work great.
    I have the incra version as well. Might I ask what "dust port ones" you're referring to? Always up for possibly improving dust control.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    I have the incra version as well. Might I ask what "dust port ones" you're referring to? Always up for possibly improving dust control.
    I was referring to the CleanSweep Magna-Lock inserts. For some reason I cant find that on Inrca's website, but I bought them at CarbideProcessors: LINK and LINK. They work awesome when combined with a router dust box below the table. I use the Rockler version (LINK). Be sure to use the "creekers" coupon code for 10% off your order.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the Incra Version of the Jessem and love it. I think it was the metal insert plates around the bit that made me choose incra. They are held in place with a magnet and they have a small hole that allows you adjust them flush while in place.

I do like some of there other products too.
    Gary

I didn't want to drop the coin on a router lift, so I bought a router raizer. I've been very happy with it. Very nice company to deal with too.

Nothing against Jessem, I've got a few of their products and like them a lot.

Enjoy the lift!

It is the precision of the lift mechanism that sets it apart from a router like the triton. Not necessary but so nice to have.

Curious: on the triton can the Collet raise far enough to allow bit changes above the table or just depth adjustment.?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It is the precision of the lift mechanism that sets it apart from a router like the triton. Not necessary but so nice to have. Curious: on the triton can the Collet raise far enough to allow bit changes above the table or just depth adjustment.?
    I have never done that, but the Triton has a grip behind the knob you can pull towards the knob then roll the knob to reach max height for above table bit changes. It also has a button in the center witch releases and you can manually raise it, then finally you can also use the krank for raising the collet above the table but is meant for small adjustments. It works great and for what I want plus the price was right. I don't know why other companies haven't thought of this before, but then again there would be no market for lifts.