Thread: Dust Collection Pictures

Dust Collection Pictures

I'm looking for ideas to mount my DC impeller. I received my Super Dust Deputy today and will be exhausting outside. Looking for pictures of shop made stands to hold everything together in one spot. Doesn't need to be mobile, I will be dragging a hose from one machine to other other. Really need some framework ideas. Thanks!!
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Here is what I did...IMG_0978.jpgIMG_1006.jpgIMG_0997.jpgIMG_0979.jpg
    I did a lot of measuring and marked on the blue tape on the 2x4 rollerized frame I built. I mounted the impeller up top bolted to the side, then made a shelf for the SDD to sit on. A friend give me an empty Roundup chemical drum that I cut down from 30 gallons to 20 gallons to fit underneath the SDD. I had to make a plywood bottom and top for the drum. I siliconed the bottom inside and installed insulation on the bottom of the top to hold the vacuum from the SDD. I made a wood frame to join the impeller to the clean air spin around part. i bought a Wynn nano filter to fit on top and used the bag on the bottom but with a plastic bag within it so no dust escaped. A very simplified version of what I did. Took a lot of work but seems to work fine so far. Randy

Here is a portable unit I built: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uild&highlight=

I just built a simple 2 X 4 frame. I put s piece of plywood to support the cyclone and then bolted the blower to the frame. I used a 55 gal plastic drum for the shaving on a flat cart. This is tall and since I didn't have help standing it up, I move my HF hoist so I could get it upright. I secured it to the wall studs, but put a foam strip between the frame and was to eliminate vibration.

IMG_0555.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

My favorite setup is in a You-tube by Tyler G. This should be a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAoj4urS-Y

He discharges through a cartridge filter but if you discharged outside it would be even more compact.

In order to get my exhaust in the right orientation for the space I was using, I mounted my motor/impeller from the side.

4 - mark for mounting bolts.jpg

For the cyclone to bin connections I used 6" starter pipe (?). IIRC, in Canada, the smallest Oneida fiber bin opening I could purchase was 9" ? I just cut it off

7 - dust bin mod.jpg

The Wynn filter is simply screwed to a piece of ply that is part of the mounting bracket.

I absolutely HATED dealing with bags so I made a plywood clean out box for the bottom of the filter, it has a hinged door on the front with a pull out box inside.

10 - Cyclone install done.jpg

No need for anything to hold the bin off the floor. I placed criss crossed 2x4's on the floor (7" height), placed the bin on them, measured, cut and installed the hose.

Remove the 2x4's and the bin just kissed the floor. To empty, just undo the clamp and pull the bin away. The added benefit is the hose is as straight as possible.

I should mention, in order to have at least 4' of straight pipe entering the cyclone, I mounted the unit higher than need be BUT I have 6' 4" clearance under the main trunk.

Plenty for a short fellow like me, he, he...

16 - final set up.jpg

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 11-15-2016 at 9:50 PM.
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

I just constructed a similar dust collector tower in my garage. http://i.imgur.com/qaLOaLe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I just constructed a similar dust collector tower in my garage. http://i.imgur.com/qaLOaLe.jpg
    Not sure I see how you remove the drum. I have a short piece of flex between the drum and cyclone. I also have the drum sitting on wheels.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

My cyclone came with a mounting flange on the bottom. I just added a couple hooks to each side of the flange and a couple 'D' hooks to the drum lid. The weight of the MDF lid (2 layers) and the weatherstrip around the lip are enough to keep the drum sealed up. When it needs to be emptied, the lid hangs from the hooks and the drum rolls out. Easy.

croppedIMAG0365.jpg

croppedIMAG0366.jpg
    - Mike

Heres mine. One thing I am so glad I did was the hydraulic lift raising and lowering the 55 gallon drum. Makes my life so much easier.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nfused-like-me

It's about 3.5 inches off the ground with a wedge underneath it. So I just unlock the lid, pull out the wedge and it drops clear.

wallmountdustcollector (Large).jpg

I have a PSI Super Dust Destroyer with a tall filter. I disassembled it, made up a couple plywood brackets and mounted it in a corner. I bought a plastic sump pump container from Home Depot, added casters and a plexiglass cover to the side hole (which provides a easy way to see when the container is nearly full). The plywood layers keeps the top sealed and I added a 5 gallon bucket with a rotating Gamma Seal Lid (from home depot) to hold the fines. (https://wynnenv.com/filters-for-cycl...mma-seal-lids/) The Super Dust Deputy works well for me. I plan to put up some 4" PVC piping sometime soon.
    Last edited by Christopher Dopp; 11-28-2016 at 7:19 PM. Reason: added bit more detail