Thread: Blastgate Fit Problems

Blastgate Fit Problems

I am in the process of installing dust collection in my shop. I am using 26 ga. snaplock duct. I purchased several aluminum blastgates form the Blastgate Company, but discovered that the fit was too loose. When I called, they said it was for their spiral duct. Next purchased the self cleaning blastgates from Lee Valley. Made it very clear what duct I was using, but same problem with the fit. Their support person told me that it worked with 5 inch duct in Canada. I thought 5 inches would be the same on both sides of the border. Does anyone know of a BG that will actually fit well with snaplock duct? Also, wouldn't it make sense to have the BG collar fit outside the duct to prevent debris from getting trapped at that point. I know that a lot of people make their own, but would like avoid that if possible. Thanks
    Last edited by Pat Walsh; 10-24-2016 at 5:46 PM.

How lose was the fit? You mean like say 3/8" around between the blastgate "lip" and the ducting?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Close to 1/4 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Walsh View Post
    Close to 1/4 inch.
    Ah, yea thats normal. All the blastgates and ducting I got from Oneida fit the same. Just use sheet metal screws and caulk silicone around all the seams and itll be air tight.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I used the Lee Valley 6" gates no problem as Ben said screws and caulking. I think mine may have been tighter than 1/4" though. Still the caulking will do. I got the self cleaning one and have had 0 problems.

The adapters that Oneida sells for their Super Dust Deputy (6" to 5" and 5" to 4") don't fit. Furthermore, their flex hose doesn't fit their adapters either and it is lower quality than what I can buy cheaper elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, their good reputation is not well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Ah, yea thats normal. All the blastgates and ducting I got from Oneida fit the same. Just use sheet metal screws and caulk silicone around all the seams and itll be air tight.

Thanks for the advise. Just was surprised at the sloppy fit. I will proceed with the silicone.

I experienced the same problem...and solved it by having a local HVAC company make some 2 inch sheet metal rings that fit the blast gate flanges. I then rivet the rings to the blast gate and fill the void between the ring and the tapered blast gate flange with duct mastic. The end result fits snugly inside spiral or snap lock pipe and gives you more area for riveting (or screwing) your pipe to the blast gate. The HVAC company made me several in 4, 5, and 6 inch sizes for $2.00 bucks apiece.

Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC
    Last edited by Tom Wassack; 10-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Tom. Good solution. Were the rings made with rivets?

No they used a pinch (spot) welder, applying three welds per ring.

Tom

I just finished installing a dust collection system in my little 16'x19' shop and nothing really fit. Had to do lots of improvising all over the place. And yes, siliconed the joints around the blast gates because the fit was as everyone else described, loose. The whole operation was a lot more work than I though it would be....and a whole lot more expensive. Be prepared. Now done, works great. Randy

Just an FYI on "spot welding".The pinch style work great.But,for places that their limited reach is exceeded,or for folks on here with mig welders.....

Miller "used to" sell them,ours came from Lincoln....it's buried in their catalog.Even standing at the counter in the local welding supply shop saw 1/2 dz of us struggling to find it...Is a tip that screws on your mig gun that does spot welds.The serious car resto guys have been using them for years on "deep",hard to reach...must be perfecto accurate welds.

I use ours (on certain DC parts) enough that it's 20 or so $$'s was warranted.