Thread: Osage orange galore

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Osage orange galore

A friend of mine took me to a farmer's land that had no fense, but the crops grew right up next to a grove of trees that has lots of osage orange. He knows the farmer and was given permission to take all we want. Came home with half a truck load. Would have grabbed more but ran out of sealer.
    One piece we cut was from a stump where the guy had cut a very large osage orange down to about 30" or so. From that I plan to make an end table. About 24" dia. That was just part of the entire top of the stump.
    I love that stuff. One of my favorite woods.
    When I learn how to turn like the majority on here I may make my friend the urn he asked me to turn for him.
    I hope he sticks around for a few more years. Still using a HF 10x18 (while waiting for a 10% discount from Grizzly), focusing in tool grinding ( and making bowls).
    That's the second time he located an unlimited supply of one species, the first being a huge willow tree that fell in his yard. He pushed it up and over a hill so he would not have to burn it, so, I get the whole tree if I want.

Wish I had more friends like him, but then I'd run out of room to store it.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 10-25-2016 at 12:34 AM.