Thread: Swisstrax flooring

Swisstrax flooring

Anyone ever use Ribtrax tiles from Swisstrax, or similar, plastic tiles for a shop floor? Folks on the Garage Journal forum recommend them for a garage floor but I wonder if sawdust will make them slippery is a wood shop. With ribbed design they're supposed to drain (needed in a garage), and you're supposed to use a shop vac to clean out the dirt that drops thru.
    The Plane Anarchist

I’ve seen them in person, but don’t have them in my shop. I somewhat doubt that sawdust would make them slippery as the gaps between the ribs are pretty wide. Sawdust would likely fall through instead of piling on top. However, I can see myself losing a lot of small screws, nails, and such between the ribs.

However, I can see myself losing a lot of small screws, nails, and such between the ribs
    Yup but on the plus side it usually means I can find them and not under the bench or table saw.

I think I'll pull the trigger on tiles for my 30x36 garage I'm building. I'm hoping to build a 30x40 shop next year. So I'll get some 1st hand experience with the tiles in my garage before I have to make a decision on the shop floor. But I'm a bit worried that the garage will be pressed into shop use longer than my plan....
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I think I'll pull the trigger on tiles for my 30x36 garage I'm building. I'm hoping to build a 30x40 shop next year. So I'll get some 1st hand experience with the tiles in my garage before I have to make a decision on the shop floor. But I'm a bit worried that the garage will be pressed into shop use longer than my plan....
    Hey Leigh,

Did you ever end up installing the tiles? If so, how has it been doing woodworking in there (sawdust? rolling table saws, etc?)?

Sorry for the late reply. The wife flipped the kill switch on the floor tile plan for the garage floor. So I don’t have any experience
    The Plane Anarchist