Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SuperMax or PowerMatic sander?

Hi Ken,
    I have the Supermax Sandpro 25 closed end drum sander and have been happy with it's performance. You can't be in a hurry or get greedy trying to remove too much material but you can get good, uniform surfaces. I have found that 120-150max grit, then finishing with a ROS works the best. The Sandsmart feed control system is a must and I assume it is included in other sanders at this $$ point. The base has swivel lock casters and moves easily, DC works well, and haven't had any mechanical problems. Haven't used the PM version for comparison but the SuperMax has been a good choice for my shop. Good luck shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It also has a fair amount of cowling and style elements that do not affect performance; it does look pretty cool though.
    IMO Powermatic has given more emphasis to visual appeal than any other manufacturer in the last 10 years or so, for some it means nothing but I like to work with visually appealing machines/tools. This is a shift from earlier PM machines, while I agree the PM81 20" BS is a better machine than the Delta 20-350 I own a Delta instead since while the PM81 has all the looks of an industrial box the Delta has some of the Art Deco design from the earlier cast iron saws, it just makes me smile when I walk up to it. Maybe I do better work when I am smiling?

That said while I like the look of the PM better and never shun mass in a machine I feel more comfortable telling someone else to choose the Supermax, they have been doing these types of machines for longer and have a great rep and the PM doesn't have a lot of user feedback. If I was spending my own money I might choose the Powermatic but in the same way I might buy a BMW but recommend a Lexus.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've owned a 25" dbl drum sander. I can think of no other machine more useless than a drum sander.
    IMO they are fundementally flawed machines. Drums get hot...real hot. So every piece you feed through a drum sander, you will be very aware of burning the wood AND the sandpaper on the drum. To combat this you can on

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I've owned a 25" dbl drum sander. I can think of no other machine more useless than a drum sander.
    IMO they are fundementally flawed machines. Drums get hot...real hot. So every piece you feed through a drum sander, you will be very aware of burning the wood AND the sandpaper on the drum. To combat this you can on
    It is like watching a movie getting to the good part and finding out the Bluray is scratched...

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Only drum Sander I've seen that worked worth a darn was a giant cast iron 4 drum machine that OSCILLATED. That's the key that handles the build up of heat. If not you will be constantly burning a spot in your 6 feet of sandpaper that takes ten minutes to change.
    Just my experience after three Performax machines, hoping each upgrade would solve the burned sandpaper issue. NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Only drum Sander I've seen that worked worth a darn was a giant cast iron 4 drum machine that OSCILLATED. That's the key that handles the build up of heat. If not you will be constantly burning a spot in your 6 feet of sandpaper that takes ten minutes to change.
    Just my experience after three Performax machines, hoping each upgrade would solve the burned sandpaper issue. NOT!
    Oscillations only goal on wide stock is to prevent a linear sanding pattern. Oscillation actually increases the actual abrasive to surface speed, so all other things equal heat produced will increase. Oscillation can reduce abrasive temps where the stroke is nearly as large or larger than the width of the stock but that is almost never the case for items run through a DS or WBS.

The key with a DS is simply treating it as a DS if you treat it like a WBS or abrasive planer you will have poor results, a quality DS, setup properly and used properly will do its job, ask to do more and it will fail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Maybe I do better work when I am smiling?
    Too true. Some machines just look too cool ;-) I work on a University campus and come across lost treasures now and then. I am always stopped in my tracks when I see a machine that has "that look". Here's one I stumbled on in an old pump room behind one of the older buildings . . . aw man! Can't find it. I'll be back ;-)

Ah . . . found it.

Fawcett Back Room (2).jpg

Now I have no use for such a machine but, I grabbed the wheel on the tailstock on this 6 foot-plus long monster and gave it a whirl. It spun for several seconds as the tail stock extended out like butter.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-29-2016 at 7:47 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

The key with a DS is simply treating it as a DS if you treat it like a WBS or abrasive planer you will have poor results, a quality DS, setup properly and used properly will do its job, ask to do more and it will fail.
    I have to believe this is the way to think about it. There are just too many people that have a DS and seem to be happy with what it does for them. Certainly not discounting your opinion Mike. I have a few things that I think are pretty useless that others love.

Heat is a problem with these drum Sanders. The direct drive models turn around 1750 RPM if my memory is right. One of the reasons I like the Woodmaster it is it's a belt driven machine that turns around 750 RPM with a 6 inch steel drum versus a 5 inch aluminum drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    Heat is a problem with these drum Sanders. The direct drive models turn around 1750 RPM if my memory is right. One of the reasons I like the Woodmaster it is it's a belt driven machine that turns around 750 RPM with a 6 inch steel drum versus a 5 inch aluminum drum.
    I didn't want to pollute the thread with WM talk since Ken indicated his budeget was lower but at this point likely all the specific SM and PM voices have likely been heard.

The WM is just in a different class and not sure the exact size Ken needs (between 25 and 50) but a WM 5075 singe drum is over $5k equipped and shipped. It is over 900 pounds of US made goodness though with a 7.5hp motor that is absolutely huge, the first time I saw mine I was amazed. While it does have a slow speed 6" steel drum the heat transfer is reduced by the velcro. Some people question the velcro but I really like it. The paper changes are much faster and you don;t have to fool with that clip plus you can run two different sizes of paper, one on each side if you just need ~24 of width, I have done this many times and generally the way I leave the sander. The velcro also gives a cushion that extends paper life and is more forgiving if you try to take a little too much off. While it certainly isn't a widebelt it didn't cost 20-40K either, need 100 amps of 3 phase power, 10 or so CFM of air and a 10hp cyclone to run.

To Glen, thats a pretty machine. I am a particular fan of the Art Deco influenced machines. The modern PM look has a rounded aesthetic that harkens back the the old cast iron machines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    .... ooops! iPhone sent my post mid-typing.
    To combat this, you can only make light passes at slow speeds. Like others have said, there are drum sanders that have large diameter, rubber coated, grooved drums but these type of sanders get very expensive. And you still dont have the cooling of the sandpaper like a wide belt.

If I were the OP, I would take my doors or panels to a local cabinet shop and pay to have them run through a wide belt. Huge money saved! 2nd option, buy a festool rotex sander and sand the doors in 1/4 the time. Still huge savings and you end up with a superior tool. 3rd option (what I did), drop approximately 5-7k on a used 25" wide belt and end up with a machine that actually can sand panels or doors efficiently and quickly. I bought a SAC 25" WB from a one-man shop years ago and it has been an amazing sander.

Jeez Van Huskey, thats a hell of a machine you got there. 50in, nice......Wish I had room for that one. I started out with a used 26 many yrs ago for $800 that was in rough shape, kept outside under a tarp. The customer service at Woodmaster was great....just called and talked to the guy out in the shop who builds them. They sent me a new part, no questions asked about warranty and walked me through the installation. Just great customer service. I later upgraded to a new 38 which had the big red 5hp motor, cant recall if it was a Baldor or Leeson. Great machine. Like you I like the velcro and find it easy to change sandpaper. Right now I feel lost without the sander, really miss having one. Once I get this shop settled with some storage I hope I can find room for one.

I have the Supermax 2550, love it!

Acme is having a site wide 10% off "Trick or Treat" sale. Today only!
    I'm pretty sure Supermax is included.

I ran across this discussion of the 22-44 on Thewoodwhisperer. He points out some interesting things about the Powermatic. I think he mentions it but Powermatic is a sponsor of his channel. Over the years all the time being sponsor of his show he has had a Jet (obvious connection and the one he complains about but doesn't mention the name) a Supermax and now the PM2244