Thread: Prutton Tool Company

Prutton Tool Company

Anyone know anything about the D H Prutton Machine Tool Company of Cleveland, Ohio? I ended up with a DHP No 3 with some missing parts. Just trying to get some background on or details about the plane. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Anyone know anything about the D H Prutton Machine Tool Company of Cleveland, Ohio? I ended up with a DHP No 3 with some missing parts. Just trying to get some background on or details about the plane. Thanks
    Mark, Pictures always help if you have the means to post them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am cleaning it up at the moment, I will post a few when it looks a little better. I noticed the iron was 2" wide so this is actually equivalent to a #4, no numbers present. If I can find an appropriate lever cap, I am probably going to sell the plane. thanks

I can't help much regarding their planes, but there is a #5 sized one for sale on eBay right now (item # 401106367180 ). Not great photos, but they may help answer some questions you have?

My information about the company is fairly incomplete, but am passing on what I have found in order to begin to fill in the blanks. Daniel Howard Prutton appears in Cleveland directories as early as 1921, when he is listed as an engineer working for the Upson-Walton Company. He continues to be listed, through 1943, as a machinist when a trade is given. The earliest listing I've found for D. H. Prutton Machinery & Tool Company, at 5295 W. 130th, Cleveland, is 1946. Daniel H. Prutton is listed as the owner, which remains true in a 1951 directory listing. By 1955, the name of the company has changed to Prutton Corporation, at the same address, with Daniel H. Prutton as the chairman of the board. Howard Prutton is listed as the president. The Prutton Corporation continues to be listed in the directories into the 1960's, at least. So, to recap, known dates for the D. H. Prutton Machinery & Tool Company are from 1946 to 1951. However, there are gaps in the Cleveland directories I've found, so it is possible the company existed as early as 1944 and continued until as late as 1954.

As a side note, Daniel H. Prutton was issued at least eleven patents, mostly having to do with forming screw threads, the earliest filed July 12, 1937 and the latest issued January 23, 1968.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Thank you very much Don. Very informative and helpful!!

Ok I have cleaned up the plane and here are some pics. The only thing missing now is the lever cap.
    It is not the most refined plane, but curious about history if available. Thanks

IMG_1513.jpgIMG_1513a.jpgIMG_1514.jpgIMG_1515.jpgIMG_1516.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1518.jpg

There are a couple of things about it that point vaguely toward production by Millers-Falls: the right-angle flap on the end of the lateral adjuster and the knurling pattern on the depth adjuster wheel (maybe; I'd have to be holding in my hand to know). But if M-F did make it, they stepped down pretty dramatically on quality: the M-F adjusters usually have little wheels on the operating end of the lateral adjuster instead of the tang yours has; and the frog is cantilevered out over the sole, with, it looks like, no direct contact with the sole at its front, generally a recipe for chatter (as the frog flexes when you hit hard spots in the wood).

In general, pretty coarsely finished, it looks like, and probably of interest to collectors of D H Prutton stuff - and surely there are such folks, or at least one such person. The trick is to find him/her/them.

Thanks Bill for your thoughts!

Nope, not a Millers Falls made one. Might be a Great Neck Tool Co. made one. Have seen this type of plane a few times.......usually a "Made for......" sort of thing. Late 1960s....

Thanks Steven!