Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your bandsaw? I bet you overpaid...

How much did you pay for your bandsaw? I bet you overpaid...

This Tannewitz GHS 36" bandsaw is on eBay for $1200 buy it now. Admittedly, it is in the heart of old furniture country in NC where these types of deals do pop up but look at it... now think what you paid for your saw(s)...

002.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Looks about the size of a small car :-) If only I had the room

In my area that'd be about 1200$ to move it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Looks about the size of a small car :-) If only I had the room
    About 3,000 pounds and the price on a new one is ~$33,000. Think about it a high quality good with probably 80%+ of its useful life left for less than 4 cents on the dollar.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    In my area that'd be about 1200$ to move it as well.
    And still be a stupid good bargain!

Why don't you buy it Van?

Not enough room to store it until I get the next shop built. Plus, a 850 mile move would be a pain. It is really only practical if it is on your doorstep.

I wonder how many woodworkers have brought home a big fat jointer or bandsaw and found out their electrical service was too soft to start it.
    Or ticked off the neighbors as they dimmed their lights.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-31-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I wonder how many woodworkers have brought home a big fat jointer or bandsaw and found out their electrical service was too soft to start it.
    Or pissed off the neighbors as they dimmed their lights.
    It has probably happened more than once.

Though they don;t say and I can't read the motor plate in their picture it is probably either 7.5 or 10 hp. Not too bad with an RPC to power it and though the inrush will be high it has steel wheels so it isn't a "huge" startup load. Being that it is a DMD machine you can't switch out the motor easily.

Van do you know if a wide blade 1 inch or more adds to start current then let's say a 1/4?
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Van do you know if a wide blade 1 inch or more adds to start current then let's say a 1/4?
    From a scientific point of view, yes, but so miniscule to be a non-issue in practical terms. You would see a far greater percentage increase on a 3hp table saw with a full dado stack vs a .125" blade.

I don't believe the blade size has much to do with start up current. Wheels don't seem to spin much harder by hand with a 1" blade at the 25-30,000 I run. I don't bother with a wider blade as the band thickness increases and the old saws were not engineered to tension a .042 1.5" blade to that level. My old 116 which is the same size has a 700 rpm 5 hp motor with a FLA draw of 19. 5 hp was pretty standard given the torque of the low rpm motor. The machines spec'd for resaw would have larger motors but that is rare. The Tannewitz usually ran a 900 rpm motor which would have a lower FLA draw and a higher blade speed of 8400 fpm. One set up for resaw would likely have had a 700 rpm motor. My 10 hp Kay or 30 amp phase perfect starts the 116. Although the start up for old saws can be slow, I don't believe the spike is as high as a similar sized dust collector with gates open. I think I paid 2800 delivered for the 116 but it had been gone through and was plug and play. Bandsaw prices are dropping some. Fewer people willing to look up from Ipads and learn how to deal with 2000 lb monsters. As the shop classes change and the world goes to CNC, those who appreciate machines will disappear. Dave

I love that saw.. To me that is the ultimate .. none around up here in Canada..

I don't believe the inrush on 3 phase is nearly as bad as single phase.

I lived in Hickory North Carolina, right in the middle of the North Carolina furniture factories. About 10 years ago I saw a semi truck driving down the road with a dozen of those old Tannewitz bandsaws strapped down. There was a used machinery dealer there that had several sitting out in the rain because he just didn't have room for them. There were lots of those available.

That is the rarer type with the full resaw height under the upper wheel- it has a level upper arm. Probably about 9 1/2' tall. I have that same saw in my shop only belt drive. I paid a few hundred more for mine.
    As to amp draw, my old boss bought one of those with direct drive 7.5 hp wired for 240v.
    Startup draw on that was 136 amps!
    Electrician had a bit of a time locating fuses, or a breaker- don't remember which , that had enough load delay to allow startup.
    They are not that hard to move. You only gotta be smarter than a lump of cast iron.