Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your bandsaw? I bet you overpaid...

Well dang that makes my Crescent that I have listed FS look way over price.But if a person ever use one before,they would know then what makes them so so wonderful to use.
    Paid to much???Will I did for the first BS that I purchase which made all the others after that seem so cheap(humor;~)----Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Well dang that makes my Crescent that I have listed FS look way over price.But if a person ever use one before,they would know then what makes them so so wonderful to use.
    Paid to much???Will I did for the first BS that I purchase which made all the others after that seem so cheap(humor;~)----Carroll
    Carroll, your Crescent is worth every dime you are asking, I have seen it, it is turn key, pretty and probably as good as it came from the factory. While I have seen better deals than this GHS it is one of the best I have seen on eBay in quite a while.

PS If you ever wanna sell one of your baby PMs lemme know I am always up for a day trip to Porter, and I would be happy to buy something this time vs sell something like last time.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 10-31-2016 at 5:35 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Undoubtedly yes for my first, although I also got it delivered and was able to use it immediately instead of searching for years (you east coast people have it easty... err easy) which was a rather huge advantage in practical terms since I actually _have_ a bandsaw instead of a hypothetical bandsaw.

For my last one, mostly no.. although its a tiny little piece of junk (9" cast iron in mediocre shape looked like possibly a cute scrollie) I paid exactly $0.00 for it. Granted it needs at least new tires and blades, but likely also ?? once I get to it and one could plausibly argue that you should be paid to take such a saw.. meh.. it looks like it could be fun anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post

For my last one, mostly no.. although its a tiny little piece of junk (9" cast iron in mediocre shape looked like possibly a cute scrollie) I paid exactly $0.00 for it.
    I posted a free 14" off brand cast clone that was on the Portland Craig's List on the Deals forum a couple of days ago, but I bet it is gone by now.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I had a friend when I live in Viginia who was a big metal working hobbyist, he had this huge vertical mill, he moved into a neghborhood that had a HOA with very tight restrictions on things like the size and type of garage doors and detached buildings so he ended up bringing in the mill setting it on the concrete pad that was to be ostensibly his garage and built the house/garage around the mill. I often wondered what he would do if/when he moved.
    Classified Ad: Huge Vertical Mill for sale...comes with attached 4BD/2BA house.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My last 5,with one being a very special horizontal metal cutting version....comes to about 600$Put new tyres on a pre war 16" W/T 3 days ago.One of the 5 is another W/T,14",metal and wood with a Baldor motor.Sposed to pick up a freeby 12",old C-man last week,but didn't get a round-tuit.

Will say,our ancient 14" Delta-Milwaukee gets a whole lot of use....just sayin.

Edit to add,just got the fence and rails for the 14" Delta above,which we've had for ever.
    Last edited by Brian W Smith; 10-31-2016 at 6:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    My last 5,with one being a very special horizontal metal cutting version....comes to about 600$Put new tyres on a pre war 16" W/T 3 days ago.One of the 5 is another W/T,14",metal and wood with a Baldor motor.Sposed to pick up a freeby 12",old C-man last week,but didn't get a round-tuit.

Will say,our ancient 14" Delta-Milwaukee gets a whole lot of use....just sayin.
    You haven't said anything that makes me think the Tanny isn't a better value... just sayin.

BTW you do realize this thread is just a light hearted way to talk about my favorite subject don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I posted a free 14" off brand cast clone that was on the Portland Craig's List on the Deals forum a couple of days ago, but I bet it is gone by now.
    That would be better than a free-fifty-free 9" although I was already in location on the 9 instead of an hour plus drive away . Nice things DO show up around here occasionally but it would appear that there is some strange conspiracy to align the nicer ones arrival with me being either on-call that week or altogether out of town. There was a really cherry 20" cast iron C frame beauty in Bend a couple years ago and another one in Yakima both at "I'm very willing to pay that" prices - they BOTH were there and gone while I was incapacitated by work.

I'm not sure I'd get in the truck for less than a 20" to complement the existing herd at this point though unless it was really nice.. or I was driving that way anyway... or...

The or... is kind of how I ended up with a weird old ?wet? grinder of as-yet unknown provenance this weekend, I was there, it was there, it appeared to run, it was $5.. it went into the truck. I figured the motor was probably worth around that worst case and hey the grinder is cast iron and dang heavy so there's hope anyway. Not 100% sure its a wet grinder but it has all the hallmarks of one and I didn't have a lot of time to look that closely between other projects. Not nearly as exciting as a free bandsaw granted.

Edit the one in Bend was a Davis & Wells... in really good shape... ah well.
    Last edited by Ryan Mooney; 10-31-2016 at 7:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Nice things DO show up around here occasionally
    I use searchtempest to search Craig's List for bandsaws 4-5 days a week just because I enjoy looking, I search the full US. I have actually noticed the Pacific NW is actually a pretty good place for hobby sized machines. I don't see as much of the monster stuff like the East coast and rust belt. A lot of Davis and Wells machines pop up in So Cal since thats where they are/were located.

Just for my perspective, you can't overpay for the right machine and the wrong one is never a steal. I've been on both sides of those deals. Dave

By the pound it may be a deal but that's about it. Don't know the specifics of this saw and folks can chime in but do you know if their are blade guides below the table? So you have a 36" saw, what are you going to cut with it? Right, and you are going to feed the stock how exactly? And you will get that stock onto the table and convey it how exactly? Bandsaws are worse than genitals when it comes to the "how big is yours?" contests.

Love the idea of this saw but real world practice places the $1200.00 price on it. But if I had 36"es...

I would not even pay the transportation to have it delivered to my place for free if I had to keep it. This monster is too big and is waaaaay beyond what I will ever need. I wouldn't devote that much shop space to it. If I wanted that kind of resaw capabilities, I would buy a bandsaw mill.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 11-01-2016 at 1:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    By the pound it may be a deal but that's about it. Don't know the specifics of this saw and folks can chime in but do you know if their are blade guides below the table? So you have a 36" saw, what are you going to cut with it? Right, and you are going to feed the stock how exactly? And you will get that stock onto the table and convey it how exactly? Bandsaws are worse than genitals when it comes to the "how big is yours?" contests.

Love the idea of this saw but real world practice places the $1200.00 price on it. But if I had 36"es...
    All the GH Tannewitz I have seen have lower guides, that said they came with a number of different guides based on the buyers needs and it would certainly be possible to spec them with no lower guides.

I am lost about the rest of your comments, you use it just like any other bandsaw, the table is relatively large but it isn't like you can do most anything you can do on a small saw and a whole lot more. The only negative is just the logistics of movings one, potential power supply issues and the space they need, they take about the same space as a table saw. Maybe it is a scale thing and they look bigger in pictures than they are, the tables on big saws for example are almost always lower than a Delta 28-350/Powermatic PM81. There is a good number of negatives to a 3000 pound 36" saw in a hobby shop but basic usuability is not one of them.

If I had room in my shop, I would be on my way to NC right now!

It's good to see that your one track mind hasn't derailed Van!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I looked for a couple of years (and I have damn good Google-Fu) for a reasonably priced 20" saw. I had one in the past and it met my needs. I wanted a larger one, but the cost was prohibitive. I fell into a 36" saw at auction for $200. I had a forklift pick it up and put it on a trailer. i had a forklift take it off the trailer and plunk it in the shop. I prybar it onto 3/4" black pipe and move it when I need/want to. Works great. I cannot comprehend not being able to use a larger saw. My table is the same height as any other. I pick up the wood and push it through. (on a saw this large a power feed is an actual possibility.) I can resaw. I can cut 1/4" x 2" dowels in half. It has a large footprint. It takes a VFD. I have the space. If it didn't have a lower guide, I'd buy one from Carter with a slotted mount for $250. Whats the problem? Don't want one, don't buy one.