Thread: Parts to make Original 16" Banjo work on G0766?

Parts to make Original 16" Banjo work on G0766?

I have asked Grizzly CSR for a parts list, and the total came to ove $40. Seems high for a bunch of nuts and bolts and lockwashers and retaining rings. Plus the $7.99 shipping - REALLY? Does anyone have a cheaper solution to make this work? I have a project coming up to turn 5'-0 long posts for a bed and the customer made an oak and plywood bed extension, so now I'll need to have both banjos usable at the same time to support a 5'-0" long tool rest. Seems cheap for anyone else, but I'm on a really tight budget. Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I know of several who made a second "banjo" from a few pieces of scrap wood and a bolt or c-clamp. Perfectly suitable for a special job. It needs a wrench to adjust in and out but shouldn't need adjusting much. A board or length of angle iron could serve as a tool rest.

It might even be easier to not even use the steel banjos and make the whole rest from a couple of boards, fastened into a "L" shape. Fixed height should work for a long spindle.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I know of several who made a second "banjo" from a few pieces of scrap wood and a bolt or c-clamp. Perfectly suitable for a special job. It needs a wrench to adjust in and out but shouldn't need adjusting much. A board or length of angle iron could serve as a tool rest.

It might even be easier to not even use the steel banjos and make the whole rest from a couple of boards, fastened into a "L" shape. Fixed height should work for a long spindle.

JKJ
    Amen. When I needed a second banjo for a long tool rest, I made it out of scrap oak and a couple bolts.
    DSCF5260sm.jpg

Hi Mark,

I use both banjos. I like the smaller one for most items but use the big one when needed for large turnings. I also use the extra banjo for a homemade snake/monster hollower rig.

I recall re-using the clamp plate (#62) and nut (63) that was used to secure the lathe in the crate. LUckily I hadn't thrown them out. I mistakenly forgot to buy the base plate (57) so I fabricated it myself, but that part is only $1.75. I recall buying items 53, 54, 59, 60, 61. I didn't bother to buy the little bolts and lockwashers (58 and 87) from Griz but picked them up from Home Despot . Also, I bought something else at the same time from Griz, so I combined shipping. So my parts cost was a bit less than the figure you mentioned.

Mark,

you probably don't need as many parts as you think... The bolts are available at my local farmers coop or tractor supply or big box stroke. 3/4" external rings will substitute for the19 mm ones. The washer should be reusable from the original banjo. The clamp plate is reusable from the original packing.

The tool rest support bracket doesn't really exist. It is actually that big stepped washer from the original banjo. Reuse it. A metric bolt will work instead of the tool rest lock lock lever. It isn't as convenient...

So the essential parts from grizzly are 57, 59, 60 and maybe 63 and 54.

much less than $40.

mine works great.

c.

Thanks, all, for the comments. I just went ahead and ordered the parts to make a completed short banjo. I should get to turning 5'-3" long columns by about Saturday. I'll make the tool rest out of 2x4 with oak on top, and posts from 3/4" black iron pipe nipples.

Well, here's the status report: I ordered all of the parts recommended to complete the original banjo. And, CSR for to mention the nut (M18x2.5) for below the bed. I called them and they wanted to charge me an additional $45 for shipping on a $1 part. I located a nice bolt supplier in Nashville, and he GAVE me (2) hex nuts for free. I am in process of making a 5' long tool rest, and will start to turn the posts tonight. I'll probably use the Grizzly 5.5" chuck to hold the drive ends, and make an oak plate to receive a cup live center. I still have to bolt up the wood bed extension later, and get my courage gathered up. Luckily, it's a very simple pencil ended set of posts.

I sure you post pictures of both your setup and the completed pieces. I'd love to see them, in case I ever have to do something that long on my 0766!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Mark, on the big nuts that go under the bed, I went to Lowes or Home Despot and picked up a couple. Every once in a while I need to reach under and tighten them maybe 1/4 turn but that isn't much of a problem. If it ever bothers me, I might put on a couple of drops of non-permanent loctite.

Good luck.

Brice: I tried both local Lowes and HD and neither had that size available. I am not worried about tightening a few times as it's a short run project. I will have the top of the old banjo milled off afterwards, though, as I can use it more often that way.

Walter: I will post pictures of the setup after I get it rigged.

As promised - here's a couple of pictures of my setup (messy area, please forgive me). I did make a 5' long toolrest from oak crown moldings, but once I got started with the 14" cast iron toolrest, I continued. The extension seems to work pretty well, but when I am cutting down there it is definitely louder. There was a bit of whipping in the middle of the oak, and I tried to not press the tailstock in too tightly, but I did not want that piece to fly off either. This first one is pretty much done, and I have 2 more to go (one will be cut in half to make the foot board posts. Wish me luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting the pictures, Mark.

Perhaps a steady rest would help with the whipping and provide a bit of safety. I made one for my previous lathe using roller blade wheels that I bought on eBay. I have not yet adapted it to my G0766 lathe but plan to in the future.

BTW, your solution looks good.

Brice: Thanks for the comments. Yeah, a steady rest is in my future, but since these start out as laminated 13/16" x 3.5" beams, that measure 3.5 x 3.25, I would not be able to use the steady rest until I have made the rectangular beam into a round. I did watch a video of some guys who built a homemade lathe from a treadmill motor to turn a column 7' long for Habitat for Humanity home. The had constructed keepers of rebar to contain the column in case it got loose. Tomorrow my challenge is to make the next 2 columns. Trick is - I have to make them all the same.

Long Spindles completed

Finished and delivered. A bit rough, and not all exactly the same. Too much hopping on #1 to get it smooth enough. #2 was a bit better. #3 was the best and quickest (with exception of it it coming off the live center when I had a catch). That was scary. The guy I made these for is happy enough, even if he has to do some random orbital sanding to get to a finish quality.

1117160656[1].jpg