Thread: Surely it's been done - dado sled for milling?

Surely it's been done - dado sled for milling?

Anyone ever tried it? I assume the trick would be securing the workpiece to the sled but I'm picturing two runners and a bed that runs over the blade. Slide the fence and raise the blade as needed.

Thoughts?
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

How would this be better then the fence? You would have to have an infinite number, not quite, of sleds for different size dados.

I see what you are saying and it should work but it seems a router sled would be more efficient for the size of slabs people normally mill outside the jointer/planer. It would seem the sled would have to be so long (or wide) to be very cumbersome to move.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The problem with cutting dados on the table saw is that you have to make sure the panel is held down well and all across the panel. If the panel has a slight bow to it, the depth of the dado may not be even across the dado. That's why a router does a better job - it follows the panel and gives a consistent depth.

And it's pretty easy to make a jig to do dados with a router.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm referring to using the dado blade as a flattening option, not so much for cutting dadoes in this instance. I agree, the sled would have to be large and that may be a deal breaker. I've done the router method before on my bench top and I can't say I really had any issues with it. Just thinking out loud and wondering if a dado blade would be faster and cleaner. Maybe, maybe not. Thanks for the input gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    I'm referring to using the dado blade as a flattening option, not so much for cutting dadoes in this instance. I agree, the sled would have to be large and that may be a deal breaker. I've done the router method before on my bench top and I can't say I really had any issues with it. Just thinking out loud and wondering if a dado blade would be faster and cleaner. Maybe, maybe not. Thanks for the input gents.
    I got what you meant and I think it is a novel idea. I don't think it would be as fast and definately not as clean, that is considering you have one of the better and LARGER router "planing" bits. Maybe you have a different scale in mind, I am thinking huge table top sized slabs which are just too heavy you gotta take the tool to them. My next thought is how to you suspend the slab above the blade no matter how I envision it you won't be able to do the whole slab at one time since something has to be under the slab to hold it up, maybe attach it to a bridge above so there is nothing under it but I just can;t see the efficiency.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I use a Safety Speed Cut router dado machine,which is probably similar to what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I got what you meant and I think it is a novel idea. I don't think it would be as fast and definately not as clean, that is considering you have one of the better and LARGER router "planing" bits. Maybe you have a different scale in mind, I am thinking huge table top sized slabs which are just too heavy you gotta take the tool to them. My next thought is how to you suspend the slab above the blade no matter how I envision it you won't be able to do the whole slab at one time since something has to be under the slab to hold it up, maybe attach it to a bridge above so there is nothing under it but I just can;t see the efficiency.
    I'd say you are right. I don't even have anything particular in mind. Just thinking about options for potential problems.

This is basically what you're doing when you cut tenons.

I don't think the technique will work very well if you are going for a flat board.

Sounds to me like a dialed in RAS would be easier than trying to keep the wood from sagging on a table saw. I have the saw, but I would still use the router for this.....same thing as resurfacing a workbench, using a 'bridge' for the router. Kind of like the SSC Max mentioned.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Sounds to me like a dialed in RAS would be easier than trying to keep the wood from sagging on a table saw. I have the saw, but I would still use the router for this.....same thing as resurfacing a workbench, using a 'bridge' for the router. Kind of like the SSC Max mentioned.
    Supporting the slab would be the issue, using the router the slab is (or should be) well supported underneath but it is going to be hard to prevent a sag. While I don't see an application for this idea thinking out of the box is always a good thing since it is like panning for gold if you do it enough one day you will find a big nugget.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Myk,

Funny how you could describe what I was trying to say in two words.

Love the idea of 'attaching' the sled to the table saw.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.