Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Malt Recommendations

Stew, that's way too much temptation. Lucky I'm broke... Cheers

There is no "step up" from Lagavulin. It's the best there is, end of story.

Any of the other Islay whiskeys are nice to have on occasion-- they remind you of just how good the Lagavulin is.

Roger, that's my fear

Everyone, thanks for the reco's.

Stew, your post was particularly inspiring. Now if I could just get a bottle of Signet shipped 2-day air economically!!!!!!

You might consider cask strength Lagavulin, of whatever age statement you can afford.

Lagavulin Distiller's Reserve or the Lagavulin 25. I loooooove the regular 16, especially around the fireplace or camp fire. Tastes like the great outdoors!

LGV 25? If my friend makes it to 100, perhaps.

It is not step-up but something different - try Oban 14 or Yamazaki. Last was the best single malt in the world in 2006. And yes I know it is not from the right country, but still very good.
    Ed.

I ended up with Oban 18. Thanks to everyone.

I was discussing this earlier tonight with my wife actually. We are taking a belated honeymoon of sorts this weekend and she mentioned picking up some special beverages to celebrate. The topic naturally drifted to Scotch and I couldn't really think of anything I wanted more than Lagavulin, despite my best efforts. As others have mentioned, I don't think there are any steps above it, just sideways or down. Never tried the Oban 18, hope it goes down well!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Stew, your post was particularly inspiring. Now if I could just get a bottle of Signet shipped 2-day air economically!!!!!!
    Well, I see you bought an Oban 18. Not a bad choice. Although I'm not much of a fan of their younger whiskys, the 18 does have some interesting aromas and flavors. Kind of middle-of-the-road peatyness which I prefer.
    Whenever you have a chance either search online for the Signet and/or give Glenmorangie a phone call, and they'll put you touch with a distributor

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

If he likes a massive finish, try Talisker. It is a highland region (Skye) scotch and not too expensive, but different, and I think unique.
    Late to the party, so to speak, but another Talisker fan here! It's my birthday present of choice!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I have an old Scottish friend who likes Lagavulin but he said it's so smoky, it's like licking the inside of a barbecue grill.
    LOL - it's like drinking a fine cigar.

Cragganmore 25. Nothing else I've tried comes even close.

It's funny that peated scotches get dismissed so often. To those who dislike them as a category, I suggest you try a flight of them. There is enormous complexity in those Islays. Being wood guys, we should all appreciate the 'phenols' that are causing those tar notes, but you have to learn to taste THROUGH that to the vanilla and caramel and countless other notes. Underneath a lot of them are like (I'm ready to be smacked for this) kinder, gentler bourbons. This becomes evident when you taste a 'good one' (as defined by you) vs a 'bad one'. Eventually, even the phenolic taste becomes appealing.

I would put Islays' in the 'white oak lumber' category. At first, they both scream "HOSPITAL CIRCA 1992, " and can be a little splintery and they can go Revenant on your tongue or tools, but as you turn them sideways, you realize there's some beautiful ray flecks in both.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-02-2016 at 3:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ... try a flight of them.
    +1. And be sure not to drink them in 'series'. A 'parallel' approach is MUCH more revealing. After you've sampled the 3rd one, going back to a sip of the 1st will result in a completely different experience.