Thread: A BAT?? With a name...

A BAT?? With a name...

Saw this on the 'net and decided I should make one.

Bat is my own design (and not meant to be functional!) just needed a place to do some CNC carving.

Turned out of popular (because I had some) and did the job.

Combining two favorites - CNC and lathe...

Baseball Bat.jpg

How I fastened it down to the CNC. Turned most of it and left the two ends to provide a flat spot, carved the name, and remounted in lathe and finished turning. It was to prove a concept and seemed to work just fine!

If I did a "real" bat, I would probably make a cradle for the 2 ends and fasten it down pretty much the same.
    Baseball Bat - 2.jpg

I put some medium danish oil on it, forgetting that it being popular, I should have used some wood conditioner first, but didn't, so not really happy wit the final finish. (So no pictures of it ) Oh well...

Thanks.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Hi Keith, nice job. BTW it's spelled Poplar not Popular. What kind of CNC do you have? I've just started looking at them myself.

Spelling was never a strong point...

I have a Probotix Meteor. Happy with it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Hi Keith, nice job. BTW it's spelled Poplar not Popular. What kind of CNC do you have? I've just started looking at them myself.

Pat, I have quite a bit of CNC experience. In my opinion most of the low end routers as sold by Rockler and Woodcraft have limited proprietary control software. This makes some of them hard or difficult to program unless you have the Vectric software which comes with many of the machines, but that software in itself is limiting.

Looking at the website for the Robotix router Keith has, it has LinuxCNC control software. That's a good choice. Linux CNC is more suited to using more "standard" CAD/CAM programming software other than Vectric stuff.

Basically, I don't like Vectric software. They've got a lock on the low end market.

The downside of the Robotix is it's more expensive than most of the other small routers, but I think it may be worth it.
    Last edited by Doug Rasmussen; 11-05-2016 at 1:37 PM.