Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There A Best..............

Is There A Best..............

............... hot glue gun?

One to use for tacking, temporary removable bonds and the like. One that heats up quickly and can produce a fairly good stream of hot glue.

Thanks,
    JimE

Well, you asked for it: I have read over the years from numerous sources that the 3M Hot Weld guns are the best. Dont use hot glue enough to buy one, but if I did I think one of those would be what Id go with.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I don't know which is the best. They seem pretty simple tools. I don't use one much but I have one for HF and it works just fine.

Hot Glue Gun

I don't claim to be an expert on hot glue guns but I went through a couple of small hobby type glue guns before I bought this one from 3M. It works very well.
    Jim

https://www.gluegun.com/collections/...glue-gun-96594

The wood floor installer had one that he said was temp adjustable and he had it set at 425F. He said the glue was much more fluid at that temp and it gave them longer working time when bonding to concrete. Pretty substantial gun, I sadly didn't get the brand.

I think it was this one, $111 on amazonSurebonder PRO2-220 220-Watt Adjustable Temperature Industrial Glue Gun, Black

Last edited by Joe Jensen; 11-03-2016 at 1:01 AM. Reason: More data

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    ............... hot glue gun?

One to use for tacking, temporary removable bonds and the like. One that heats up quickly and can produce a fairly good stream of hot glue.

Thanks,
    JimE
    I have the 3M gun for about 5 years now. It was marked High heat gun and came with high temperature glue sticks. I found they sell low temp and high temp glue sticks. I use only the high temp sticks. It does seem to get much hotter than my wives hobby glue guns.

Thanks folks. I have had the hobby type guns but they don't seem to get very hot and retain the heat. They seem to work good for a dab here and a dab there but for a larger area they don't produce enough at one or two squeezes.

A little research indicates the 3M and the Surebonder products are a step above. The different models get confusing at times.

Thanks again. JimE

Blog Entries
    I have the original model from the 70's. It gets incredibly hot, but with your thumb on the glue stick itself you can get really good control. Never used one with a trigger.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I ship all my glass products in highly laborious crating and boxes, and one day was fed up with my 3M gun - short, expensive sticks, took too long to heat up and told my workers to do a web search on the absolute best gun regardless of price, and gave them my CC.

Next day I get the Surebond Pro9000 A. Absolutely the best gun ever. Feed mechanism is awesome. Hits temp in five minutes, runs 15" sticks - get the sticks from McMaster or wherever.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Thanks Shawn and John.

Shawn: A glue gun without a trigger. 70's model and still goin'. Now that's a classic. You didn't say what brand it was. JimE

I'm very happy with the Surebonder Pro2- 100 watt version. I use it for general tasks. Not near as much money as the 220 watt, but much better than the throw aways I kept trying for years.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

There was once a real high-end hot melt urethane that crosslinked after cooling, and I believe was used to make trusses and such. Imagine an immediate cure glue that was as strong as polyurethane. Need to find it.

My hot melt butyl gun is insanely strong bond - designed to make insulated glass panels, which is what I use it for, as well some other proprietary sealing. The worst part is accidentally getting it on yourself. Serious burn, and trying to get it off burns the other fingers.

Beercan-butylDispensingGun.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

You guys are costing me money. I now have a Surebonder glue gun in my shopping cart.

I've been using a relatively inexpensive glue gun, probably from Home Depot, for years. It's ok but not great. I never thought about a "pro" glue gun before reading this thread.

One of my favorite uses for my glue gun is to stick my dust collector ductwork accessories and joints together. I have used it to mate blast gates to S&D pipe, to glue butt joints of pipe together for custom fittings, and make repairs. I've never had one come apart, even plain butt joints.

I have this DeWalt glue gun and have been very pleased with its performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Heat-Ce.../dp/B00FI6QWBM

Years ago I purchased the 3M professional kit at one of the shows. It had a fancy gun and carrying case. 4 different glue tubes with 4 different colors that were supposed to be re useable. They were hard as hell to get more than one use out of them and the system did not work very well either. The tubes would get hard after getting heated up. It is still sitting on my shelf in the shop. I paid over $100.00 back then. At least 12/15 yrs ago I'll bet. I've been using the cheap hobby guns when needed but not too fond of them. I'll take a look at the Surebond.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing