Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busy Couple Weeks

Busy Couple Weeks

For those who are wishing for businesses to drop into their lap.... Careful what you wish for.
    I've burned through a good deal of my day-job vacation time in October. Just trying to keep up with demand. In just the past 2 weeks - Mark over 400 Yeti mugs, Engrave 100 Cincinnati Reds ball bats, Cut 1,000 airline brake pads, dozens of Name Plates, a dozen NFA Trust engravings, another dozen firearm mfg engravings, Mark 150 metal On/Off switch covers, 1,500 desk wedges, and numerous misc items.
    Success is good, but the neighbors think I work in my shop 24/7. One of them asked my wife if I was forgetting to turn off the basement light at night. Sleep is now a luxury, or is it an allusion, I don't know too tired to think about it.
    My November schedule looks to be nearly as busy.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Awesome for you Tim Maybe getting close to making it your full time job and be your own Boss.Unless of course you love your day job and the Boss is great LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Awesome for you Tim Maybe getting close to making it your full time job and be your own Boss.Unless of course you love your day job and the Boss is great LOL
    The drawback to being your own boss is that you know exactly what he is capable of and you may not want to work for him...

I actually cranked up the old Mini 24 to run at the same time I was running the M2. The Mini needed to run a dummy job for maybe 5-8 minutes before it started firing - been idle for over a year.
    I plan to "retire" from the day-job shortly after I can tap my 401K (17 months... not that I'm counting). We all know there will be slow weeks/months & with my 401K, it'll give me that added financial security. I project that I would seldom need to access it, but it will fill the financial void, just in-case.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Sounds all too familiar... not that I'm complaining (other than the 110+ hour work weeks)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    For those who are wishing for businesses to drop into their lap.... Careful what you wish for.
    I've burned through a good deal of my day-job vacation time in October. Just trying to keep up with demand. In just the past 2 weeks - Mark over 400 Yeti mugs, Engrave 100 Cincinnati Reds ball bats, Cut 1,000 airline brake pads, dozens of Name Plates, a dozen NFA Trust engravings, another dozen firearm mfg engravings, Mark 150 metal On/Off switch covers, 1,500 desk wedges, and numerous misc items.
    Success is good, but the neighbors think I work in my shop 24/7. One of them asked my wife if I was forgetting to turn off the basement light at night. Sleep is now a luxury, or is it an allusion, I don't know too tired to think about it.
    My November schedule looks to be nearly as busy.
    Don't overlook your sick days, cough, cough. LOL
    My side job is sewing and my laser helps me increase productivity by quickly cutting and marking intricate patterns.
    I feel your pain, when I first started I always wanted to be busy, now I'm working until 10:30-11:00 at night and weekends just to keep up. Yes, be careful of what you wish for.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

For all of you out there reading Tim's post and wondering what magic wand he is using, I encourage you to go back and read his posts from years ago when he was struggling. Tim has worked hard for this success and he has paid his dues and earned these bragging rights!

Tim, You Rock! I am so pleased to read you are doing well. Thanks for sharing that tidbit about your mini. I don't think I would have left it on for that long before giving up and thinking the tube was dead. Hopefully others who have had dormant lasers will see your note and have the same results as you did. Have you tried turning it on again to see if it fires up within a minute or two or does it take the full 5-8 minutes each time now?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa;[URL="tel:2620127"
    2620127[/URL]]For all of you out there reading Tim's post and wondering what magic wand he is using, I encourage you to go back and read his posts from years ago when he was struggling. Tim has worked hard for this success and he has paid his dues and earned these bragging rights!

Tim, You Rock! I am so pleased to read you are doing well. Thanks for sharing that tidbit about your mini. I don't think I would have left it on for that long before giving up and thinking the tube was dead. Hopefully others who have had dormant lasers will see your note and have the same results as you did. Have you tried turning it on again to see if it fires up within a minute or two or does it take the full 5-8 minutes each time now?
    I forget who said it but it reminds me of this "I was an overnight sensation and it only took me 10 years to get there"

I was watching Larrt the cable guy last night he said he's been a comedian for 15 years and he's been funny for 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I forget who said it but it reminds me of this "I was an overnight sensation and it only took me 10 years to get there"
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

JUnior tAKE NOTE IT TAKES TIME AND LOTS OF WORK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    For all of you out there reading Tim's post and wondering what magic wand he is using, I encourage you to go back and read his posts from years ago when he was struggling. Tim has worked hard for this success and he has paid his dues and earned these bragging rights!

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    ... Have you tried turning it on again to see if it fires up within a minute or two or does it take the full 5-8 minutes each time now?
    I still need to tickle it for 30 - 45 seconds each time (run with no material). We're talking about a well used tube that is over 10 years old. Once warmed up it appears to be working like it did when new.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

If your wondering about retirement so far money has been the least any issues that came up. Its me wanting to keep busy and learning, and also Not Giving products or my time away. My wife said I charge to much ( I was a former union member) and to that I say... If I want to work for low wages I can sell all my "stuff" and get a job at Walmart. Until then, a price is a price... unless I do something for the Church and its pay back time. Thank you Lord.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Health Insurance scares me more than anything when it comes to retirement planning.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

oh gawd, the R word... I just turned 62 and is THAT ever looming large now...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well Tim you look to be a ways from 65, but Medicare A&B is fine but you need supplemental to fill in the 20% it does not pay and a few other things. Good news its not that bad cost wise. A lot cheaper than Obama Care that is for sure.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10