Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow - Have never seen the voting site so packed

Wow - Have never seen the voting site so packed

The parking lot at our YMCA was completely full, the access road to the YMCA was full with parking both sides, and there was a waiting line of cars to turn in from the main road. I've never seen such a large turnout. Ended up driving on past and will try again after work.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Took me 20 minutes this morning (6:50 - 7:10). Here's hoping the OP gets back and votes.

I was worried about that here so I went on the last day of early voting - no waiting. My wife is headed out now. Maybe she should take a folding chair and a lunch!

Wow, that has to be a good sign for voter turnout.

In my opinion, the higher the better.

Good luck today my friends, hopefully you'll select the best choice for your country..............regards, Rod.

And that's why I voted by mail!

It shouldn't be like that - it discourages people from voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    And that's why I voted by mail!

It shouldn't be like that - it discourages people from voting.
    There will likely be a crush at opening bell, at lunch, and at closing. The same precinct may have no line at all during off peak?

Shouldn't be like that...?? With absentee ballots, mail-in, early voting, and some even advocating for internet voting, it has gotten very easy.

I heard an interesting argument that we make voting too easy. For the sake of brevity, the premise was the easier it is to vote, the less contemplation and seriousness the voter applies to the decision.

Regardless, GO VOTE!! If you don't, you surely get the government you deserve. (No politics, just civic duty.)

7. Thank God I voted the last day of early voting. What ever you do please do go back & vote. This is probably the most important election in the history of our great country. The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.
    That might be pushing it a bit. No matter who is elected they will surround themselves with experts and there are checks and balances.

And yes Malcolm, I don't think you should have to wait so long or go back multiple times to try and vote. There are a lot of people who can't vote by mail and can't get off work to vote. In the OP's state he could have voted by mail but still. At some point we'll be able to vote securely on our phone. All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.

1486549.gif

Originally Posted by Matt Day

That might be pushing it a bit. No matter who is elected they will surround themselves with experts and there are checks and balances.

And yes Malcolm, I don't think you should have to wait so long or go back multiple times to try and vote. There are a lot of people who can't vote by mail and can't get off work to vote. In the OP's state he could have voted by mail but still. At some point we'll be able to vote securely on our phone. All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.
    I wonder if election day should be moved to the previous Saturday or made a holiday so people have at least part of the day off from work. I'm not sure how we could keep vote fraud to a reasonable level with mail or electronic voting.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-08-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    ... All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.
    As do I. And I too think we'll vote with our phones one day. (As soon as the Feds issue them to all those who will be disenfranchised because they don't have one.)

Perhaps I failed in my use of 'easy'...?? 150 yrs ago, voting was an all day effort, so what is a reasonable investment for a voter in time and effort to cast their ballot today? Does reducing that 'investment' diminish their consideration of the impact it has to the election process? Does increasing the effort reduce participation? Why?

Should federal election day be a federal holiday? ...Then do same for state and local? Or, is voting important enough to take a vacation day?

Lots of questions that I don't pretend to have the answers for. I just know that I have in my finger the power to impose term limits. Or not. I will gladly invest 1 day in 4 years to exercise that power.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 11-08-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: disenfra-what?

maybe naive question....Why do you vote in person? I vote by mail. No lines at all. Do other states not offer this?

Sailed right through ours.Partly due to a change in format...went to paper ballots from touch screens.So,instead of 3-4 booths,went to a dz. private writing desks.Then walk over and stuff ballot into the paper shredder?Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    maybe naive question....Why do you vote in person? I vote by mail. No lines at all. Do other states not offer this?

No, not all do.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I voted by mail. For those who have the option, I highly recommend it. I fill out the things I'm sure of first and then seek more information on the things I don't feel up to date on. Here in CA we have a lot of "propositions" and it takes some research to really understand some of them and what repercussions they might have. Having my ballot early and having time (days to weeks) to fill it out gives me time to research and reflect.

Of course you can do that with in person voting but I find that I tend to do it more when I'm faced with marking my ballot.

Mike

[Just an added note: All the yard signs in my area are about local issues. No presidential signs. I guess that's too contentious. No matter what sign you put up, some people would say "You support THAT candidate?"]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-08-2016 at 2:23 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist in this regard. And I've never had to wait much at my polling station so the early voting options didn't really seem like a benefit.
    The only early voting center I've heard of here in the Columbus metro is quite a ways away and the daily news reports have been reporting very long lines there, with up to 1 hr waits. Usually, I'm in and out at my polling station, the most I've ever waited was about 10 minutes. But today was extraordinary. I'll get back to vote, nothing including a late meeting here at work is going to keep from that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher