Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow - Have never seen the voting site so packed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    This is probably the most important election in the history of our great country. The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.
    This is true only if you are in a state without a strong commitment to one party or the other. Florida, Ohio -- definite yes, Most of the nation, if you believe the networks and polls and all the TV and newspaper talk - they really don't need my vote at all (for president).

I live in a small rural village, the heaviest lines are before and after working hours. I went to the polls at 10 A.M. and had a 5 minute wait in line. I have seen much more crowded polls many times. The other thing a have noticed is that the number of yard signs is way less, almost like the choices are not people to be proud of.

I went to early vote last Wednesday. The wait was 2.5 hours. I left thinking it would be better later in the week. I stood in line 3.5 hours on Friday and voted. Largest turn out I have ever seen here. Most of the local politicians were incumbents running unchallanged. The gentleman in line ahead of me has been in the area for 6 months. He asked my opinion about the local vote. I was honest and told him that in 20 years, no matter how I have voted at the local level, I have not experienced any change in my day to day life here. We still have a ridiculous crime rate no matter who is wearing the Sheriff's badge, and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 11-08-2016 at 2:04 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I voted today...went at 9 AM. Walked in, signed in, walked over, voted and walked out. Less than 90 seconds to start the voting process. I'm sure it won't be the same story after 4 PM today.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    LOML & I voted on the 24th. It took all of 15 minutes start to finish.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Good for you Bruce.

I just saw an article about people putting their "I Voted" sticker on the headstone of Susan B Anthony.

Did you receive a sticker?

We don't get one when we vote...............Regards, Rod.

I voted today. I took longer to ask a worker what my precinct number was than it did to vote. No stickers offered.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Voted when the pools opened at 7:00a today.
    A good line. I was #42 at my precinct.
    Took about 25 min from in line to out the door.
    The line looked to be about 20 min long when I left.
    Any delay was in checking ID's and signing the register, enough voting machines that the wait was less then a minutes.

So even if your in a location that requires you to wait, go and vote.
    We can make up tomorrow when it is over.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Good for you Bruce.

I just saw an article about people putting their "I Voted" sticker on the headstone of Susan B Anthony.

Did you receive a sticker?

We don't get one when we vote...............Regards, Rod.
    They offer one, I always tell them to keep it.
    I haven't read the articles on the Susan B Anthony deal but l think it's disrespectful. JMO
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-08-2016 at 4:53 PM. Reason: Apple spell check...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    It shouldn't be like that - it discourages people from voting.
    Says who? If all the polling places are filled, why would that indicate discouragement?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Turnout in my precinct is heavy and steady. The poll worker I spoke with while waiting in line with my daughter (her first presidential vote!) said that there were about a dozen folks already waiting outside at ten 'til six this morning...the polls didn't open until 7am...and it had been busy all morning. We were there at the tail end of the lunch hour. Out of approximately 2000 registered voters in my precinct, my daughter and I were #998 and #999 to vote...that's really unprecedented turnout and I'm truly happy about it. Voting is both a privilege and a responsibility and too many folks haven't exercised that responsibility in recent years. That's sad when I consider that my daughter(s) only 11 years ago lived in a country where they might not have ever had the opportunity to vote at all for a variety of (sad) reasons...

PA doesn't have "early voting" so it's either in-person on the day or an absentee ballot. I often have done the latter due to my business travel, but this year I scheduled myself to be there to vote in person on purpose. Our wait was about 20 minutes as the line was a little shorter than it had been earlier when I drove by after a doctor appointment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

[Just an added note: All the yard signs in my area are about local issues. No presidential signs. I guess that's too contentious. No matter what sign you put up, some people would say "You support THAT candidate?"]
    Mike,
    No Presidential yard signs here in Washington State either. I believe it is because; A) No one really likes any of the options and B) both our States are considered "solid Democrat" so limited efforts were put forth re. the Presidential campaign. Secretary Clinton was here one evening/night for expensive fundraising diners, The Donald never came to visit.

I am so glad this horror show is finally over (I hope) but I am proud to see what appears to be large voter turnout nationally. In my world voting is not optional, it is an obligatory right that must be executed. BTW- We get our ballots in the mail 2-3 weeks early and have the option of dropping them in public Ballot Boxes or mailing them in. Ours were submitted a week ago.

Peace -Bill
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-08-2016 at 7:54 PM.

My wife and I voted this morning when the polls opened at 6:00 AM. There were about twelve others waiting but our polling station gets very slow in the middle of the day. I had to go out of town or would have waited a bit.

Still beats me why you blokes can't organise an election on the weekend. Ours are always on a Saturday - you just vote on the way to the game or the shopping or the pub or whatever. Adds to the weekend entertainment. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Still beats me why you blokes can't organise an election on the weekend. Ours are always on a Saturday - you just vote on the way to the game or the shopping or the pub or whatever. Adds to the weekend entertainment. Cheers
    Not here Wayne. This is the peak of the football season, both college and pro. No possible way that elections could take place on the weekend here.

PS - thanks to all who voted