Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman power tools

Post Craftsman power tools

Hello I am brand new to this forum stuff, but I would like to get some opinions from people who have used certain tools. I just purchased a craftsman 19.2 volt DieHard combo set with drill and 2 saws. I know Craftsman power tools are generally regarded with great disdain, but I would like to know if anybody has any input on this so I can return it within my 90 days if I need to.

Thanks, Joe

ps. I have already had some noise going on with the clutch or break when besides the normal noise of the break engageing when you let off the trigger. I just hope it's not the gears giving out. they are probably plastic.

Kim (LOML) and I have a small remodeling business which mostly consists of finish work and cabinet installations. Two years ago I bought a Craftsman 19.2 volt combo kit (drill/driver, recip saw, circular saw, light). Since then I've purchased 3 more 19.2 volt combo kits (drill/driver & circular saw - drill/driver & right angle drill - drill/driver & recharg screw driver). Although the recip saw hasn't seen much use all three drill/drivers, both circular saws, and the right angle see much day long use (80+ kitchen remodels).

I'm sure you'll read many gripes about Craftsman tools as this thread continues - it's a boat people love to jump on. I've worked as either a carpenter or in a cabinet shop for the last 20 years and have always had at least a few Craftsman tools in my collection and they've performed as well as many other brands.

In peace, Todd

Just realize that you generally get what you pay for and if this is what you can afford and it is the beginning for you then that is OK. Have to start somewhere and the prices at Sears when on sale are good prices. I have purchased plenty of tools from Sears but the tools fill the need at the time and I know this tool is not meant to be a lifetime tool.

I can't speak to the power tools from Sears in the recent past as I have not purchased new power tools in several years from them. I sure do have some of the older variety Craftsman tools in my shop and am well satisfied with them all.

That said, welcome to Saw Mill Creek!
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Welcome to SMC Joe. Like Todd said you are going to hear a lot of different views on Craftsman. I have a Craftsman 2 hp router that I just can't kill it. It just keeps going. I also have the 18v drill and saw that it just keeps on going also. I got this 19.2v drill and saw combo for Christmas. I had trouble with the drill clutch within 20 to 30 days. About 70 days later had trouble with the saw. Took them both back and they gave me a new set which so far has held up for a little over a year now. If you are hearing a grinding noise other than the break kicking in I would get it back for a exchange.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Many folks gripe about Craftsman tools. I own many of them. I have the set you speak of, and have for about 6 months. Other than the chuck occassionally dropping bits for no reason, I have no complaints. It is worth noting that the drill that this particular one replaced was a Dewalt and it too would drop bits. And yes, I do know how to tighten a chuck.....

I also have the large contractor saw, and a couple of routers. All have worked just fine for me.

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

The noise you are talking about may be the spindle lock engaging. If it is making a clacking noise when you let off the trigger, that is what it is. Some drills make this sound louder then others. I have a Ridgid 12 volt drill that does this. I also had a DeWalt 12 volt XRP that did the same thing. I called DeWalt's tech support about the noise and this was their explanation. The spindle lock is what keeps the spindle from turning when using the one handed chuck. When you left off the trigger, it ratchets until the spindle slows down enough for it to lock in place. Hope this helps and good luck with your drill.

Welcome to the Creek, Joseph. I've also got the Craftsman 19.2V drill, and I've had no problems at all with it. I've not put it to real heavy use, but it hasn't balked at anything I threw at it. My kit was the drill, a little power screwdriver, a pair of batteries, and a stud finder. (I don't think the stud finder works right. When I put it on the biggest stud in the house -- me -- it just sits there and does nothing.) I've also got a corded Craftsman drill that's been worked hard over the past 20 years or so, and it's still running like a champ.

Again, welcome -

- Vaughn

I have had two Craftsman drill drivers,both 14.4 volt.The first one was AOK,i used it for several years before the batteries gave out.I bought a new one a couple yrs.ago and it is a piece of sh--.Drive 3 or 4 screws with it and the battery needs recharging.I dont like to run down any partiocular brand,but the next one I buy will not be a Craftsman.

Let's face it, many of us would never have gotten into wood working if it wasn't for Craftsman tools. I started out with a 8 inch benchtop table saw, 8 1/4 inch miter saw, several routers, drills, cordless stuff, sanders etc. I moved up to a 10 inch contractors saw that I really liked, however the motor burned up and I was upset, but that ended up being a product of my wiring in the shop. Fixed that! I now have upgraded some tools like the table saw is now a Delta and Routers are Dewalt etc. I still love my 18 year old 16 in Drill press and still using my 1 1/2 Cman Router. If I bought a Cman product and I didn't like it, back it went. I returned a benchtop jointer as it was just a paper weight and the same thing with a 15 in scroll saw I bought, didn't have it 2 days. Some stuff works others are dogs! I have a Craftsman 12V drill and a Ryobi 18V set. Both are made by ITT/OWI. For hobby work, these are just fine. No cordless product is a lifetime product,don't kid yourself. You will eventually be replacing a Dewalt, Milwaukee etc. They all die eventually so I choose to spend 100. or less and replace the whole unit in 3, 4 or 5 years. Anyway, Craftsman has a place or has had a place in many peoples shops. It appears they are making an effort to upgrade the quality of some of their wood working equipment like the jointers, table saws and bandsaws. That's my take,for what it is worth.
    Corey

Oh, one other dog. This one scared the heck out of me. Wife bought a Craftsman Recip saw for me. My first project was to saw out a door jamb. It went thru 2 nails and a couple shims and bam, the blade flew out and plastic everywhere. Turns out the collet was all plastic on that model. She took it back and they said, we don't make that one any more. ( this was 2 months later than she bought it) I wonder why! Anyway, they replaced it with the new model which has a metal guide and chuck and have torn out patio doors and five or six other doors, work on relatives places etc. Good saw.
    Corey

Vaughn, I give you an A+ on the stud finder comment.

Most of my dad's power tools are Craftsman and he is happy with most all of them. He wasn't happy with his Cman 14.4 volt drill till he tried a couple other brands and found they performed about the same as his Cman. At first he expected his cordless to do what a corded drill would do.

I've got several Cman power tools and, aside from the CMS blowing up, have been pleased with them.

On other tool forums I read posts from people that swear Dewalt is junk but Milwaukee is great or Milwaukee is junk and Bosch is great etc. People often form an opinion of a company based on one or two of their tools. Someone buys a Cman sander that goes bad too soon and they will swear that all Cman stuff is worthless but you really can't say that based on one or two examples.

Two of my friends claim that all Cman stuff is garbage and they buy only Dewalt. Now between the two of them, they might actually use their tools a total of 4 hours a year. I think they don't like Cman because it is too "middle class" for them.

Kind of the same reason that some people respond with "Well they're not as good as SnapOn." when you say you use Cman hand tools. Most SnapOn is better but it also costs 8 or 10 times as much so it should be better.

My rant isn't directed at anyone on this board. It is more about the people I know who think serious wood working is sharpening a pencil and like to constantly run down Craftsman and who think all Cman users are unsophisticated hicks.

So Joe, if the only power tools I could use the rest of my life were Craftsman, while they might not always be my first choice, I could get by just fine.

James

Joe,

this forum is a really great place to hang out and get advice and suggestions. It sure is a friendly place and people that make this forum are like a big family. Just like family, one mans meat is another mans poison. You will get very valid experience reports of tools and techniques but what works for me, may not work for you.

That said, I started out with Craftsman and still have many of the Craftsman tools I started out with but, did manage to 'upgrade" to other brands as I grew in my knowledge and experience.

Give your drill a shot, and if you are not happy with the way it performs for you, then you know next time, to look for an improvement in your next purchase.

Feedback is always welcome from your experience.

Welcome aboard bro.........

I pretty much agree with Corey on this one. I started WW with mostly Craftsman and some Shopsmith tools. They served their purpose since it was what I could afford at the time. I know that they aren't the greatest but they are not the worst either. In the past 25 years I have replaced nearly every WW tool or machine I ever bought (some more than once). The only Craftsman power tool I still have is a 3/8 drill which is the oldest power tool in my shop and it has performed flawlessly to this date. Craftsman and several other brands are typically made to sell at a particular price point so that they could be sold in volume. Manufacturing tools in this fashion always has compromises but usually, the tool will perform the function it was designed to do.

My experience with cordless tools is that eventually the batteries will go bad long before the tool dies. The higher voltage batteries in particular are very expensive to replace and sometimes, just buying two batteries by themselves can exceed the price you paid for the entire kit. When the price starts approaching the price for the tool, I just replace the tool to get the latest in technological advances.
    Steve

Many people complain about the Craftsman brand. And many of them have reason to. I'm not one who does. I have a bunch of Craftsman tools. They all perform quite well. Recently I've had a problem with a miter saw that doesn't want to turn (cuts perfectly but having trouble turning the table). I will be getting it checked out. I'll post when I get it diagnosed and let anyone who cares, know what it was. It does seem to be minor what ever it is. I have three cordless Craftsman drills. Two of them are of the Professional grade drills (these two are really nice, strong, reliable and come with a single sleeve chuck) and one of them is the 14 volt EX. They all perform quite well. And I use them pretty regularly. It is going on about two years now and still no let downs.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez