Thread: How important is the length of the table on a jointer?

How important is the length of the table on a jointer?

I'm looking at the Cutech benchtop 6" jointer as an option to get me started with some banjo building. The majority of the longer stock I'll be working with is 26-28" long. I see the table length on the Cutech is 30". I've read good reviews from those that own them and generally I'd go for an 8" jointer but funds and space don't allow that at the moment. Another thing that appeals to me about this is the spiral cutter head since I may be working with a lot of figured woods. The other option is a Grizzly 6" with something like a 43" table but straight cutter head. I'm just curious whether the 30" table on the Cutech will be sufficient if dealing mainly with stock under 30" in length?

Yes it will be fine. I don't know anything about Cutech jointers, but if your out feed table is longer than the material you are processing, you are well within the capabilities of the jointer.
    My 6" jointer has 42" tables and I routinely joint material over twice that length.

If your buying used check the tables for Coplane for best results.
    If it has a helical head then it needs to have very good alignment on the head to the table.since there is no knife adjustment.

I have a Wallace 8" jointer that is 40-ish inch bed. its not ideal for 6'+ stock but I manage. 4' and under, no issues whatsoever. Can't comment on that brand of jointer, but as far as bed length goes I wouldn't hesitate.

Isn't it the case that if you add extensions to the table length it would work as long as they are co-planar and flat? A bit tricky to set up, but if budget is an issue could be an option

I can't comment on the brand, but the table length will be fine. If you start doing bigger stuff, do as Andy says and make up extensions or else get a second one later when your wallet is in better health. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

0) rule zero: longer is better (applies to jointer tables too)

1) isn't the cutech 6" the same as the porter cable? I've tried the PC (with straight knives; this was before spiral became so popular) and thought it very cool for its size but not up to the job I had in mind.

2) there are many decent 6" delta and other jointers for sale used. Many will take a spiral head for about the same total cost as the PC ($340 or so).

3) if you want new and want to be able to do fine trim standing up.. consider the G452Z. it's expensive, but it's got 43" tables and wants to be a big machine despite having only about 1.5 HP.